Neurogenic tumors of the larynx are extremely rare, accounting for less than 1% of all benign laryngeal tumors. The lesions that have been described in current literature are located either in the supraglottis or subglottis, mainly affecting the pediatric population and associated with von Recklinghausen disease.
Descriptive study of an unusual case of an isolated neurofibroma of the glottis in an elderly patient with no history of neurofibromatosis.
We discuss preoperative clues to the diagnosis, our surgical experience, and propose a theory of its pathogenesis originating from encapsulated nerve structures within the vocal fold.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Benign neoplasms of the larynx.Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 1984; 17: 151-178
- Endolaryngeal neurofibroma.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1980; 88: 74-78
- Laryngeal involvement in von Recklinghausen's disease: a case report and review of the literature.Laryngoscope. 1977; 87: 435-472
- Neurofibromatosis with laryngeal involvement.Laryngoscope. 1974; 84: 132-140
- Neurofibroma of the larynx occurring with von Recklinghausen disease: report of a case.Arch Otolaryngol. 1973; 98: 77-79
- Subglottic neurofibroma in a child.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 1987; 14: 161-170
- Confirmation of encapsulated nerve structures in the vocal cord.Acta Otolaryngol. 1989; 107: 278-282
- Laryngeal involvement in pediatric neurofibromatosis: a case report and review of the literature.Pediatr Radiol. 1996; 26: 488-492
- Neurofibroma of the larynx in neurofibromatosis.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001; 127: 325-328
Published online: April 18, 2013
Accepted: February 6, 2013
© 2013 The Voice Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.