To compare vocal function, school performance, and vocal discomfort between sheltered and nonsheltered school children in Aracaju, Brazil.
A controlled cross-sectional study was carried out on 7- to 10-year-old children who attended school regularly. Two groups of children were studied: the study group (SG), with children who lived in a shelter, and the control group (CG) containing children who lived with their families. We interviewed 44 children for the SG and 15 (34%) revealed vocal discomfort (SG = 15). Concomitantly, we interviewed 400 regular school children from the same geographical area and 45 (11.25%) were selected for the control group (CG). They were paired by sex and age with the sheltered children using a 3:1 ratio. Both groups were interviewed about school performance and vocal discomfort and were evaluated using perceptual and acoustic measurements for the voice and larynx.
Children from both groups had started public school late. There were more individuals with vocal discomfort in the SG and individuals in this group also had a slower speech rate and inadequate pneumophonic coordination compared with the CG. The Dysphonia Severity Index (DSI) revealed mild-moderate deviation for both groups. Upper harmonics and palatal tonsil hypertrophy were higher in the CG, whereas laryngeal constriction was more common in the SG.
All the SG children revealed mild-moderate deviance on the DSI, a higher level of vocal discomfort, a slow speech rate, inadequate pneumophonic coordination, and laryngeal constriction. The results here presented suggest that social conditions are important for voice behavior in children.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Behavioral management of pediatric dysphonia.Otolaryngologic Clinics Of North America, Estados Unidos. 2000; 33: 1097-1109
- Análise perceptivo-auditiva, acústica e autopercepção vocal em crianças.J Soc Bras Fonoaudiol. 2011; 23: 158-163
- Occurrence of child abuse: knowledge and possibility of action of speech-language pathologists.Pró-Fono Rev Atua Cient. 2006; 18: 41-48
- Predicting mutation change in the speaking voice of boys.J Voice. 2007; 21: 169-178
Estatuto da Criança e do Adolescente – ECA: Lei federal N° 8.069, de 13 de julho de 1990. Available at: http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/leis/L8069.htm. Acessed October 15, 2012.
- Esboço para um rastreamento da institucionalização da infância e adolescência no Brasil.in: Tavares M. Crianças e adolescentes em situação de abrigo: um retrato em branco e preto. Editora Infographics, Aracaju2005: 13-26
- Characteristics and professional use of voice in street children in Aracaju, Brazil.J Voice. 2010; 24: 435-440
- The prevalence of speech disorder in primary school students in Yazd-Iran.Acta Med Iranica. 2011; 49: 33-37
- The prevalence of childhood dysphonia: a cross-sectional study.J Voice. 2006; 20: 623-630
- The prevalence of stuttering, voice, and speech-sound disorders in primary school students in Australia.Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch. 2007; 38: 5-15
- Epidemiological study of dysphonia in 4-12 year-old children.Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2011; 77: 736-746
- Voice disorders in children and its relationship with auditory, acoustic and vocal behavior parameters.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012; 6: 896-900
- Censo Demográfico 2010.Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística, Rio de Janeiro2010 (Available at:)Accessed October 15, 2012)
- Análise perceptivo-auditiva da estabilidade vocal de adolescentes em diferentes tarefas fonatórias.Pró-Fono Revista de Atualização Científica. 2010; 22: 455-458
- Differential diagnosis of hoarseness.Folia Phoniatr (Basel). 1969; 21: 9-23
- Clinical Examination of Voice.Springer-Verlag, New York, NY1981
- Avaliação da voz. The book of the specialist. Vol 1. Revinter, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil2001
- The Science of the Singing Voice.Northern Illinois University Press, Illinois1987
- Características das vozes roucas, ásperas e normais: análise acústica espectrográfica comparativa.Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol. 2002; 68: 182-188
- Análise espectrográfica da voz: efeito do treinamento visual na confiabilidade da avaliação.Rev Soc Bras Fonoaudiol. 2010; 15: 335-342
- Estudo comparativo da microvascularização das pregas vocais humanas acometidas por cisto e reação nodular contralateral sob endoscopia rígida.Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol. 2003; 69: 166-173
- Biostatistical Analysis.3. ed. Prentice Hall, New Jersey1996
- Eventos estressores em crianças e adolescentes em situação de vulnerabilidade social de Porto Alegre.Ciência & Saúde Coletiva. 2009; 14: 455-466
- The objective vocal quality, vocal risk factors, vocal complaints, and corporal pain in Dutch female students training to be speech-language pathologists during the 4 years of study.J Voice. 2010; 24: 592-598
Published online: June 13, 2013
Accepted: February 13, 2013
© 2013 The Voice Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.