Isolated laryngeal sarcoidosis is a very rare disease. In most cases, it will present as a supraglottic pale edematous swelling. In our case, the patient presented with hoarseness and dyspnea during exertion. Laryngeal examination did show not only supraglottic edema but also prominent subglottic swelling and edematous true vocal folds. Histology showed noncaseating granulomas. After excluding other causes and localizations, the patient was diagnosed with laryngeal sarcoidosis and treated with systemic corticosteroid with good result. We describe our case of isolated transglottic sarcoidosis and discuss the disease, its presentation, diagnosis, and therapeutic options.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Laryngeal sarcoidosis.J Voice. 2002; 16: 283-288
- Laryngeal sarcoidosis presenting as an isolated submucosal vocal fold mass.J Voice. 1999; 13: 240-245
- Statement on sarcoidosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999; 160: 736-755
- Treatment of laryngeal sarcoidosis with intralesional steroid injection.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1987; 96: 713-715
- Clinically isolated laryngeal sarcoidosis.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2011; 268: 575-580
- Laryngeal sarcoidosis: report of 13 patients.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1982; 91: 359-362
- Laryngeal sarcoidosis causing acute upper airway obstruction.Am J Emerg Med. 2008; 26: 114.e1-114.e3
- Upper airway. 4: Sarcoidosis of the upper respiratory tract (SURT).Thorax. 2010; 65: 181-186
- Upper respiratory tract involvement of sarcoidosis in the Turkish population.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006; 134: 848-851
- Office-based steroid injection for chronic laryngitis and glottic stenosis secondary to sarcoidosis.Laryngoscope. 2009; 119: 101
- Endoscopic airway management of laryngeal sarcoidosis.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010; 136: 251-255
- Sarcoidosis.Lancet. 2003; 361: 1111-1118
- Cytotoxic agents in the treatment of laryngeal sarcoidosis: a case report and review of the literature.J Voice. 2006; 20: 481-484
Published online: May 20, 2013
Accepted: March 22, 2013
© 2013 The Voice Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.