The goal of this study was to evaluate the effects of radioactive iodine ablation therapy on voice quality of patients diagnosed with well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma.
We enrolled 36 patients who underwent total or subtotal thyroidectomy due to well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Voice recordings from patients were analyzed for acoustic and aerodynamic voice. The Voice Handicap Index-10 was used for subjective analysis. The control group consisted of 36 healthy participants. Results taken before and after therapy were compared statistically.
There were no differences in the results taken before and after therapy for the radioactive iodine ablation group. The Voice Handicap Index-10 results did not differ between groups before and after therapy.
Radioactive iodine ablation therapy has no effect on voice quality objectively or subjectively.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Disorders of the thyroid gland.in: Kasper D.L. Fauci A.S. Longo D.L. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 16th Edition. The McGraw Hill Companies, New York2005: 2014-2126 (Ch 320)
- Guidelines for radioiodine therapy of differentiated thyroid cancer.Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2008; 35: 1941-1959
- Current approaches to primary therapy for papillary and follicular thyroid cancer.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 86: 1447-1463
- Increasing incidence of differentiated thyroid cancer in the United States, 1988–2005.Cancer. 2009; 115: 3801-3807
- Optimal differentiated thyroid cancer management in the elderly.Drugs Aging. 2015; 3: 283-294
- Thyrotoxicosis.in: Williams R.H. Larsen P.R. Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 10a ed. Saunders, Philadelphia2003: 374-396
- Long-term (12 to 18 months) functional voice assessment to detect voice alterations after thyroidectomy.Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2014; 18: 1704-1708
- Phonatory characteristics of patients undergoing thyroidectomy without laryngeal nerve injury.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1997; 117: 399-404
- Multivariate analysis of objective voice changes after thyroidectomy without laryngeal nerve injury.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008; 134: 596-602
- Voice changes after thyroidectomy without recurrent laryngeal nerve injury.J Am Coll Surg. 2004; 199: 556-560
- Voice and swallowing changes after thyroidectomy in patients without inferior laryngeal nerve injuries.Surgery. 2006; 140: 1026-1032
- Thyroid surgery and voice-related outcomes.Aust N Z J Surg. 2000; 70: 179-183
- Administration of radioactive iodine therapy within 1 year after total thyroidectomy does not affect vocal function.J Nucl Med. 2015; 56: 1480-1486
- Xerostomia following radiotherapy of the head and neck affects vocal function.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 3016-3023
- The effect of acute xerostomia on vocal function.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006; 132: 542-546
- Reliability and validity of the Turkish version of the Voice Handicap Index.Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg. 2008; 18: 139-147
- Changing concepts in the pathogenesis and management of thyroid carcinoma.CA Cancer J Clin. 1996; 46: 261-283
- Diferansiye tiroid karsinomlu hastalarda I-131 tedavisinin etkinliği.Genel Tıp Derg. 2001; 11: 77-80
- Intermediate and long-term side effects of high-dose radioiodine therapy for thyroid carcinoma.J Nucl Med. 1998; 39: 1551-1554
- Permanent iatrogenic vocal cord paralysis after I-131 therapy: a case report and literature review.Clin Nucl Med. 2000; 25: 508-510
- Vocal cord paralysis after radioiodine therapy.J Nucl Med. 1978; 19: 975-976
- Bilateral vocal cord paresis after treatment with radioiodine.Rev Esp Med Nucl. 2003; 22: 97-99
- Vocal cord paresis following radioactive iodine therapy.Br J Clin Pract. 1972; 26: 571-572
- Vocal cord palsy: a very rare complication of radioiodine therapy for hyperthyroidism.Ibnosina J Med Biomed Sci. 2009; 1: 101-106
- Acute effects of radioiodine therapy on the voice and larynx of Basedow-Graves patients.Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol. 2008; 74: 224-229
- Voice quality assessment via acoustic and spectrographic analysis in patients which had endolaryngeal surgery.Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg. 2009; 19: 253-258
- Early effects of smoking on the voice: a multidimensional study.Med Sci Monit. 2004; 10: 649-656
- Acoustic analysis of voice for computerized laryngeal pathology assessment.J Otolaryngol. 1983; 12: 295-301
Published online: July 01, 2016
Accepted: February 17, 2016
© 2017 The Voice Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.