China's traditional Peking Opera has four standard categories of roles: Sheng, Dan, Jing, and Chou, the singing vibrato of each displaying a different auditory effect. The audio and respiratory signals were recorded for two performers of the Qing Yi role, one of the Jing role, one of the Chou role, one of the Lao Sheng role, one of the Xiao Sheng role, and one of the Lao Dan role. The recordings gained eventually consisted of 24 representative songs from six roles. The rates and extents of vibrato, fundamental frequency, and rib cage signals were analyzed. Two findings were obtained: (1) the classical opera singing vibratos of China and Western countries are acoustically different from each other; and (2) in Peking Opera, the singing vibratos of different roles show significant acoustic differences.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Singer's high formant associated with different larynx position in styles of singing.J Acoust Soc Jpn. 1986; 7: 303-314
- Classical Peking Opera singing.J Voice. 2012; 26: 137-143
- Psychology of Music.McGraw-Hill, New York1938
- Acoustic and psychoacoustic aspects of vocal vibrato.in: STL-QPSR. Vol. 2–31. KTH, Stockholm1994: 45-68 (Quarterly Progress and Status Report, Dept. for Speech, Music and Hearing)
- Lung volume and phonation: a methodological study.Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 1996; 21: 13-20
- Effects of lung volume on the glottal voice source.in: TMH-QPSR. Vol. 37. KTH, Stockholm1996: 33-40 (Quarterly Progress and Status Report, Dept. for Speech, Music and Hearing)
- Why should voices quiver?.in: Humana V. Studies presented to Aatto Sonninnen. Publ. from the Institute of Finnish Langu. & Comm., Univ. Jyväskylä, 1982: 26-34
- Measurements of the vibrato rate of ten singers.J Acoust Soc Am. 1994; 96: 1979-1984
- Acoustic parameters critical for an appropriate vibrato.J Voice. 2012; 26: 20-25
- Music Sound and Sensation. A Modern Exposition.Dover Publications, New York1967
Published online: January 16, 2017
Accepted: November 22, 2016
© 2017 The Voice Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.