The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of intracordal estradiol and dexamethasone injection on wound healing in vocal fold injuries.
A prospective controlled animal study was carried out.
This study was conducted at a tertiary center.
Ten rabbits were randomly divided into two groups. As surgical procedure, cordotomy technique was performed in the middle third of the vocal folds bilaterally. In the first group, 0.1 mL of dexamethasone was injected into the right side, and 0.1 mL of saline was injected into the left side. In the second group, 0.1 mL of estradiol was injected into the right side, and 0.1 mL of saline was injected into the left side. Animals were sacrificed after 1 month and laryngeal specimens were evaluated histopathologically.
No statistically significant difference was observed in terms of inflammatory response, epithelial thickness, type I and III collagen, and hyaluronic acid parameters in dexamethasone and estradiol injections compared to the saline injection. In terms of elastin level, estradiol injection demonstrated statistically higher values compared to the saline injection. Elastin level of dexamethasone injected vocal folds was not statistically different compared to the saline injection. No significant differences were observed in terms of inflammatory response, epithelial thickness, type I and III collagen, and hyaluronic acid parameters between the estradiol and dexamethasone injected vocal folds.
It is thought that the effects of estradiol or dexamethasone injections may have similar effects on wound healing in vocal fold injuries. Intracordal estradiol injection has positive effects on tissue elastin levels.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Current understanding and review of the literature: vocal fold scarring.J Voice. 2006; 20: 110-120
- Current treatment of vocal fold scarring.Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005; 13: 143-147
- Histological study of acute vocal fold injury in a rat model.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2006; 115: 285-292
- Vocal fold wound healing: a review for clinicians.J Voice. 2006; 20: 432-442
- Histologic and rheologic characterization of vocal fold scarring.J Voice. 2002; 16: 96-104
- Characterization of chronic vocal fold scarring in a rabbit model.J Voice. 2004; 18: 116-124
- Characterization of vocal fold scar formation, prophylaxis, and treatment using animal models.Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010; 18: 481-486
- Favorable vocal fold wound healing induced by platelet-rich plasma injection.Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol. 2014; 7: 47-52
- Steroid injection in chronic inflammatory vocal fold disorders, literature review.Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2008; 74: 926-932
- The effects of transforming growth factor-beta1 on human vocal fold fibroblasts.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2009; 118: 218-226
- Hormones and hormone antagonists. Estrogens and progestins.in: Brunton L.L. Lazo J.S. Parker K.L. Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 11th ed. McGraw Hill, New York2006: 1541-1572
- GPR30 does not mediate estrogenic responses in reproductive organs in mice.Biol Reprod. 2009; 80: 34-41
- In vivo functions of GPR30/GPER-1, a membrane receptor for estrogen: from discovery to functions in vivo.Endocr J. 2010; 57: 101-107
- Estrogen signaling through the transmembrane G protein-coupled receptor GPR30.Annu Rev Physiol. 2008; 70: 165-190
- Estrogenic G protein-coupled receptor 30 signaling is involved in regulation of endometrial carcinoma by promoting proliferation, invasion potential, and interleukin-6 secretion via the MEK/ERK mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway.Cancer. 2009; 100: 1051-1061
- GPR30/GPER-1 mediates rapid decreases in TLR4 expression on murine macrophages.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010; 328: 87-92
- GPR30, but not estrogen receptor-alpha, is crucial in the treatment of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by oral ethinyl estradiol.BMC Immunol. 2010; 11: 20
- Signaling via GPR30 protects the myocardium from ischemia/reperfusion injury.Surgery. 2010; 148: 436-443
- Morphological and histological changes of rabbit vocal fold after steroid injection.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013; 149: 277-283
- Different approaches for interpretation and reporting of immunohistochemistry analysis results in the bone tissue—a review.Diagn Pathol. 2014; 9: 221
- Immunohistochemical detection of osteopontin in advanced head-and-neck cancer: prognostic role and correlation with oxygen electrode measurements, hypoxia-inducible-factor-1alpha-related markers, and hemoglobin levels.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 66: 1481-1487
- Analysis of cellular location and concentration in vocal fold lamina propria.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1998; 118: 663-667
- Biomechanical and histologic observations of vocal fold fibrous proteins.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2000; 109: 77-85
- Quantitative and comparative studies of the vocal fold extracellular matrix II: collagen.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2006; 115: 225-232
- Quantitative and comparative studies of the vocal fold extracellular matrix. I: elastic fibers and hyaluronic acid.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2006; 115: 156-164
- The importance of hyaluronic acid in vocal fold biomechanics.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001; 124: 607-614
- Interstitial protein alterations in rabbit vocal fold with scar.J Voice. 2003; 17: 377-383
- Characterization of vocal fold scarring in a canine model.Laryngoscope. 2003; 113: 620-627
- Histomorphometric and laryngeal videostroboscopic analysis of the effects of corticosteroids on microflap healing in the dog larynx.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1999; 108: 119-127
- Histologic study of acute vocal fold wound healing after corticosteroid injection in a rabbit model.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2010; 119: 133-139
- G protein-coupled receptor 30-dependent protein kinase A pathway is critical in nongenomic effects of estrogen in attenuating liver injury after trauma-hemorrhage.Am J Pathol. 2007; 170: 1210-1218
- Estradiol and G1 reduce infarct size and improve immunosuppression after experimental stroke.J Immunol. 2010; 184: 4087-4094
- G protein-coupled estrogen receptor 1 expression in human vocal fold.Laryngoscope. 2013; 123: 948-951
- The role of elastic fibers in scar formation and treatment.Dermatol Surg. 2017; 43: S19-S24
- Differential responses to steroid hormones in fibroblasts from the vocal fold, trachea, and esophagus.Endocrinology. 2015; 156: 1000-1009
- Intralesional steroid injection for benign vocal fold disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Laryngoscope. 2013; 123: 197-203
- Effect of intranasal estrogen on vocal quality.J Voice. 2009; 23: 716-720
Published online: February 26, 2018
Accepted: January 23, 2018
This article was presented at the 38th National Otolaryngology Congress, October 26–30, 2016, Antalya, Turkey, and won the first prize.
© 2018 The Voice Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.