This study aims to analyze the effect of telephone transmission on the voice quality perception of subjects with dysphonia and seeks to contribute to the use of perceptual voice analysis in forensic context. The main hypothesis is that the auditory perception of voice quality differs according to the acoustic quality of the speech material.
Eight male speakers were simultaneously recorded directly by a digital recorder and over a mobile phone.
Materials and Methods
A perceptual experiment containing 21 speech samples was used. The samples were analyzed via an online adaptation of the Vocal Profile Analysis Scheme (VPAS) into Brazilian Portuguese by a group of six voice-specialized professionals. Data analysis included the relative frequency of the 10 most evaluated VPAS settings in both recording conditions, and the relative frequency of the VPAS groups of features. A multidimensional scaling technique was applied to investigate the perceptual distance between stimuli pairs from both recording conditions. This was followed by a nonparametric multiple linear regression analysis that aimed to comprehend the underlying variables that motivated the spatial arrangement of the stimuli.
The telephone transmission effect may have an influence on assessing correctly the supralaryngeal, laryngeal, prosodic, and temporal VPAS settings. The perceptual distance between stimuli pairs were mainly motivated by the rating of velopharyngeal system, respiratory support, laryngeal tension, speech rate, and creaky voice.
The auditory perception differences between the stimuli pairs with different acoustic qualities could be related to the mobile phone bandwidth and data compression, and to telephone interaction characteristics. A group of laryngeal, supralaryngeal, temporal, and respiratory settings was mainly related to the dissimilarities reported. In terms of the application of VPAS in forensic context, the protocol was considered a relevant scientific tool that enables standardizing and analysis comparison among different groups of forensic specialists.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- O efeito do telefone celular no sinal da fala: uma análise fonético-acústica com implicações para a verificação de locutor em português brasileiro.(Dissertação de Mestrado (Linguística)—Universidade Estadual de Campinas)2015
- Some experiments on the recognition of speech, with one and with two ears.J Acoust Soc Am. 1953; 25: 975-979
- The analysis of voice quality in speech processing.in: Nonlinear Speech Modeling and Applications. Vol. 3445. Springer-Verlag, Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany2005: 54-73 (Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence)
- Voice quality analysis from a phonetic perspective: Voice Profile Analysis Scheme Profile for Brazilian Portuguese (BP-VPAS).(Proceedings of the 4th Conference on Speech Prosody, Campinas, Brazil. Vol. 1)2008: 57-60
- Perceptual analysis of voice quality: the place of vocal profile analysis.in: Hardcastle W.J. Mackenzie Beck J. A Figure of Speech: A Festschrift for John Laver. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ2005: 285-322
- Forensic Voice Identification.Academic Press, London2002
- Forensic Speaker Identification.Taylor & Francis, London2002: 289
- Verbal descriptions of voice quality differences among untrained listeners.York Papers in Linguistics Series. 2012; 2: 1-28
- International practices in forensic speaker comparison.Int J Speech Lang Law. 2011; 18: 293-307
- A perceptual protocol for the analysis of vocal profiles [work in progress].University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh1981: 139-155
- The Gift of Speech.Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh1991
- A simplified vocal profile analysis protocol for the assessment of voice quality and speaker similarity.J Voice. 2017; 31 (e11): 644
- Forensic speaker identification and the phonetic description of voice quality.in: Hardcastle W.J. Mackenzie Beck J. A Figure of Speech: A Festschrift for John Laver. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ2005: 385-411
- Speaker-specific information in voice quality parameters.Forensic Linguist. 2007; 4: 84-103
- Ministério da Justiça. Departamento Penitenciário Nacional.(Levantamento Nacional de Informações Penitenciárias. INFOPEN)2014
- Beware of the “telephone effect”: the influence of the telephone transmission on the measurement of formant frequencies.Forensic Linguist. 2001; 8: 80-99
- PRAAT: doing phonetics by computer (version 5.1. 05) [Computer program].(Available at:)Accessed May 1, 2009)
- Lineup construction for forensic earwitness identification: a practical approach.(Proceedings of the 7th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, San Francisco)1999: 1373-1376
- PsyToolkit: a software package for programming psychological experiments using Linux.Behav Res Methods. 2010; 42: 1096-1104
- Avaliação vocal sob a perspectiva fonética: investigação preliminar.in: Revista Distúrbios da Comunicação. Vol. 20. 2008: 77-98 (1; São Paulo)
- The Phonetic Description of Voice Quality.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge1980 (29; 31; 122)
- R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing.3-900051-07-0 R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2017 (Available at:)Accessed February 10, 2017)
- Five ways to calculate internal consistency.(R Bloggers: R news and tutorials contributed by (750) R bloggers. Available at:)https://www.r-bloggers.com/five-ways-to-calculate-internal-consistency/Date accessed: February 26, 2018
- Using and interpreting Cronbach's alpha. Research data services + sciences.(University of Virginia Library. Available at:)http://data.library.virginia.edu/using-and-interpreting-cronbachs-alpha/Date accessed: February 26, 2018
- Calculating, interpreting, and reporting Cronbach's alpha reliability coefficient for Likert-type scales.(Presented at the Midwest Research-to-Practice Conference in Adult, Continuing, and Community Education, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, October 8–10)2003
- Technical documents: statistics—textbook.(Available at:)https://documents.software.dell.com/statistics/textbook/multidimensional-scalingDate accessed: February 13, 2017
- Multidimensional scaling.in: Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences. Vol. 5. John Wiley & Sons, New York1985
- Assessing perceived voice similarity using multidimensional scaling for the construction of voice parades.Int J Speech Lang Law. 2013; 20: 168
- Effects of the telephone on perceived voice similarity: implications for voice line-ups.Int J Speech Lang Law. 2013; 20
- Effect of telephone transmission.in: Selby H. Freckelton I. Expert Evidence. Thomson Lawbook Company, Sydney2003
- Impact of the GSM mobile phone network on the speech signal: some preliminary findings.Int J Speech Lang Law. 2008; 15: 193-218
- Some acoustical and perceptual correlates of nasal vowels.in: Channon R. Shockey L. In honor of Ilse Lehiste. Foris Publications, Dordrecht, Holland1987
- Manual de Fonética Acústica Experimental: Aplicações a Dados do Português.Editora Cortez, São Paulo2015
- Glottalization of word-initial vowels as a function of prosodic structure.J Phon. 1996; 24: 423-444
- Phonation types: a cross-linguistic overview.J Phon. 2001; 29: 383-406
- Oclusiva glotal e laringalização em sujeitos com fissura palatina: um estudo segundo abordagem dinamicista. Tese (doutorado).(Universidade Estadual de Campinas)2011
- Speech fundamental frequency over the telephone and face-to-face: some implications for forensic phonetics.in: Lewis J.W. Studies in General and English Phonetics: Essays in Honour of Professor J.D. O'Connor. Routledge, London1995: 230-240
- Principles of Phonetics.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge1994 (142; 154; 538)
- Clinical Examination of Voice.Springer-Verlag, Vienna/NewYork1981
- Avaliação de voz.in: Voz: O livro do Especialista. Vol. I. Revinter, São Paulo2001: 85-180
Published online: August 23, 2018
Accepted: April 27, 2018
© 2018 The Voice Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.