Generalization is a challenging phase in voice therapy, involving the implementation of a targeted voice technique in all spoken communication. Among other barriers to generalization, self-consciousness keeps patients from practicing and recalibrating their voice technique when they can be overheard (eg, at work). We developed an iOS application that covertly assists users in producing their target voice while they appear to be engaged in a cellular phone call.
To examine the feasibility of this Fake Phone Call, 11 adults in the generalization stage of voice therapy received a simulated call four times daily for 1 week. Usability, utility, and preliminary efficacy of the application were assessed via triangulated measures including self-report scales, a semistructured interview, and perceptual voice quality assessment of each completed phone call.
Results indicated good feasibility, usability, and utility of the Fake Phone Call in eliciting target voice practice in public without bystander detection of the call's simulated nature. Preliminary efficacy data suggested a positive effect on vocal self-evaluation skill.
The Fake Phone Call and comparable mobile strategies hold potential to facilitate covert public practice and generalization of a speaking-voice technique.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Preliminary study of two methods of treatment for laryngeal nodules.J Voice. 1995; 9: 74-85
- Parkinson's disease: speech and voice disorders and their treatment with the Lee Silverman Voice Treatment.Semin Speech Lang. 2004; 25 (Copyright\copyright 2004 by Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc., 333 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001, USA): 169-180
- Patient perceptions of voice therapy adherence.J Voice. 2010; 24: 458-469
- Effects of voice therapy: a systematic review.J Voice. 2008; 22: 565-580
- Cell phone ownership hits 91% of adults.Fact Tank News Numbers. 2013; 6
- Mobile medical and health apps: state of the art, concerns, regulatory control and certification.Online J Public Health Inform. 2014; 5: 229
- Behavior change techniques in top-ranked mobile apps for physical activity.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 46: 649-652
- A behavior model for persuasive design.(In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Persuasive Technology 40 (ACM))2009
- Americans' views on mobile etiquette”.(Pew Research Center)2015
- Utility and usability: research issues and development contexts.Interact Comput. 1992; 4: 209-217
- Objective Assessment of Vocal Hyperfunction.J Speech Lang Hear Res. June 1989; 32: 373-392https://doi.org/10.1044/jshr.3203.373
- SUS—a quick and dirty usability scale.Usability Eval Ind. 1996; 189: 194
- An empirical evaluation of the System Usability Scale.Int J Hum Comput Interact. 2008; 24: 574-594
- Determining what individual SUS scores mean: adding an adjective rating scale.J Usability Stud. 2009; 4: 114-123
- Predicting and influencing voice therapy adherence using social-cognitive factors and mobile video.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2015; 24: 164-176
- Using the Borg CR10 physical exertion scale to measure patient-perceived vocal effort pre and post treatment.J Voice. 2017; 31: e19-e25
- Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change.Guilford Press, 2012
- Qualitative content analysis in nursing research: concepts, procedures and measures to achieve trustworthiness.Nurse Educ Today. 2004; 24: 105-112
- Persuasive computers: perspectives and research directions.(In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human factors in Computing Systems 225–232 (ACM Press/Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.))1998
- Changing behavior by memory aids: a social psychological model of prospective memory and habit development tested with dynamic field data.Psychol Rev. 2009; 116: 408
- The role of self-regulation in voice therapy.J Voice. 2013; 27 (e1): 390
- Principles of skill acquisition applied to voice training.Hampton M Acker B Vocal Vis Views Voice By. 1997; 24: 65-80
- A Theory of Goal Setting & Task Performance.Prentice-Hall, Inc, 1990
- The effects of self-evaluation training on maintenance and generalization during stuttering treatment.J Speech Hear Disord. 1982; 47: 271-280
- Utility and usability of an iOS voice quality feedback application.2013
- Guide for constructing self-efficacy scales.Self-Effic Beliefs Adolesc. 2006; 5
- Differences in temporal variables between voice therapy completers and dropouts.J Voice. 2011; 25: 62-66
- Using ambulatory voice monitoring to investigate common voice disorders: research update.Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2015; 3
- Frequent feedback enhances complex motor skill learning.J Mot Behav. 1998; 30: 180-192
Published online: June 05, 2018
Accepted: February 20, 2018
© 2018 The Voice Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.