Subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation (STN-DBS) parameters, for example the frequency of stimulation, seem to affect speech and voice aspects. However, this influence is not well understood. This study aimed to investigate the impact of low- and high-frequency STN-DBS on voice and speech for people with Parkinson's disease.
Nineteen individuals with Parkinson's disease who received bilateral STN-DBS were assessed for motor performance (Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale-III), perceptual evaluation of voice (grade, roughness, breathiness, asthenia, strain, and instability [GRBASI]), dysarthria assessment, and computerized acoustic analysis of voice upon receiving low-frequency (60 Hz) and high-frequency (130 Hz) STN-DBS.
In the GRBASI protocol, asthenia, and instability were significantly better at 130 Hz of stimulation. In the dysarthria evaluation, the phonation aspect, articulation, and grade of dysarthria showed deterioration at the same high-frequency condition. There was no significant difference for any vocal acoustic measures.
The high-frequency of STN-DBS may affect speech and voice differently, leading to an amelioration of the vocal production, but with adverse effects in the speech control.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The movement disorder society evidence-based medicine review update: treatments for the motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord Off J Mov Disord Soc. 2011; 26: S2-S41https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.23829
- DBS programming: an evolving approach for patients with Parkinson's disease.Park Dis. 2017; 2017: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/8492619
- Motor symptoms after deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus.Acta Neurol Scand. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1111/ane.12342
- Speech outcomes in Parkinson's disease after subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation: a systematic review.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parkreldis.2016.09.022
- Subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation changes velopharyngeal control in Parkinson's disease.J Commun Disord. 2011; 44: 37-48https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcomdis.2010.07.001
- Life with communication changes in Parkinson's disease.Age Ageing. 2006; 35: 235-239https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afj053
- Effect of bilateral stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus on different speech subsystems in patients with Parkinson's disease.Clin Linguist Phon. 2008; 22: 957-973https://doi.org/10.1080/02699200802394823
- Effects of subthalamic stimulation on speech of consecutive patients with Parkinson disease.Neurology. 2011; 76: 80-86https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0b013e318203e7d0
- Speech disorders in Parkinson's disease: early diagnostics and effects of medication and brain stimulation.J Neural Transm. 2017; 124: 303-334https://doi.org/10.1007/s00702-017-1676-0
- Speech changes induced by deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson disease: involvement of the dentatorubrothalamic tract.J Neurosurg. 2017; 126: 2017-2027https://doi.org/10.3171/2016.5.JNS16243
- Predictive factors of speech intelligibility following subthalamic nucleus stimulation in consecutive patients with Parkinson's disease: speech intelligibility after STN-DBS.Mov Disord. 2014; 29: 532-538https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.25816
- Low-frequency deep brain stimulation for movement disorders.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2016; 31: 14-22https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parkreldis.2016.07.018
- Subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation changes speech respiratory and laryngeal control in Parkinson's disease.J Neurol. 2010; 257: 1692-1702https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-010-5605-5
- Deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus parameter optimization for vowel acoustics and speech intelligibility in Parkinson's Disease.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2018; 61: 510https://doi.org/10.1044/2017_JSLHR-S-17-0157
- Modulation of dysarthropneumophonia by low-frequency STN DBS in advanced Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord Off J Mov Disord Soc. 2011; 26: 659-663https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.23538
- Effects of different electrical parameter settings on the intelligibility of speech in patients with Parkinson's disease treated with subthalamic deep brain stimulation.Mov Disord Off J Mov Disord Soc. 2005; 20: 416-423https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.20348
- Effect of low versus high frequency stimulation on freezing of gait and other axial symptoms in Parkinson patients with bilateral STN DBS: a mini-review.Transl Neurodegener. 2017; 6https://doi.org/10.1186/s40035-017-0083-7
- Low-frequency subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation for axial symptoms in advanced Parkinson's disease.J Neurol. 2013; 260: 2306-2311https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-013-6983-2
- Adaptação para a língua Portuguesa e aplicação de protocolo de avaliação das disartrias de origem central em pacientes com Doença de Parkinson.Rev CEFAC. 2011; 13: 1056-1065https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-18462011005000030
- Accuracy of clinical diagnosis of idiopathic Parkinson's disease: a clinico-pathological study of 100 cases.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1992; 55: 181-184
- Unified parkinson's disease rating scale.Recent Developments in Parkinson's Disease. Macmillan Healthcare Information, Florham ParkNJ, USA1987: 153-163
- Differentiated perceptual evaluation of pathological voice quality: reliability and correlations with acoustic measurements.Rev Laryngol - Otol - Rhinol. 1996; 117: 219-224
- Clinical Examination of Voice.Springer-Verlag, New York1981
- Systematic review of levodopa dose equivalency reporting in Parkinson's disease.Mov Disord. 2010; 25: 2649-2653https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.23429
- Acoustic measurements of the glottal source of normal male voices.Fono Rev Atualizacao Cient. 2010; 22: 299-304
- Acoustic and auditory perception effects of the voice therapy technique finger kazoo in adult women.J Voice. 2017; 31: 390.e9-390.e15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2016.09.025
- Acoustic vocal measures in women without voice complaints and with normal larynxes.Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2009; 75: 432-440https://doi.org/10.1590/S1808-86942009000300020
- Perceptual-auditory and acoustical analysis of the voices of transgender women.J Voice. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2017.07.003
- Auditory-perceptual evaluation of rough and breathy voices: correspondence between analogical visual and numerical scale.CoDAS. 2016; 28: 163-167https://doi.org/10.1590/2317-1782/20162015098
- Using generalized estimating equations for longitudinal data analysis.Organ Res Methods. 2004; 7: 127-150https://doi.org/10.1177/1094428104263672
- Use of the Generalized Estimating Equation Model in longitudinal data analysis.Rev HCPA. 2012; 32: 503-511
- Effects of subthalamic deep brain stimulation on dysarthrophonia in Parkinson's disease.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2008; 79: 522-529https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.2007.123323
- Effect of subthalamic stimulation on voice and speech in Parkinson's disease: for the better or worse?.Front Neurol. 2014; 4: 218https://doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2013.00218
- Distinct phenotypes of speech and voice disorders in Parkinson's disease after subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp-2014-308043
- Deep brain stimulation and speech: a new model of speech function and dysfunction in Parkinson's disease.J Med Speech-Lang Pathol. 2007; 15: 9-25
- Multi-Dimensional Voice Program: Software Instruction Manual.1993 (Pine Brook, NJ)
- The language connectome: new pathways, new concepts.Neuroscientist. 2014; 20: 453-467https://doi.org/10.1177/1073858413513502
- Characteristic laryngoscopic findings in Parkinson's disease patients after subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation and its correlation with voice disorder.J Neural Transm Vienna Austria 1996. 2015; 122: 1663-1672https://doi.org/10.1007/s00702-015-1436-y
- High frequency deep brain stimulation: what are the therapeutic mechanisms?.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2008; 32: 343-351https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2006.10.007
- Subthalamic deep brain stimulation at individualized frequencies for Parkinson disease.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1930-1938https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0b013e318259e183
- Patient-specific model-based investigation of speech intelligibility and movement during deep brain stimulation.Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2010; 88: 224-233https://doi.org/10.1159/000314357
Published online: November 16, 2018
Accepted: October 25, 2018
© 2018 The Voice Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.