Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
UNESCO. Decision of the Intergovernmental Committee: 6.COM 13.39. Bali; 2011.
Pinto de Carvalho. Historia do Fado. 1903.
- Taxonomy of singers used as subjects in scientific research.J Voice. 2000; 14: 363-369https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(00)80081-8
Mendes A, Carreto P, Torres J. Audio-perceptual characteristics of Fado's speaking and singing voice and acoustic measures correlation. In: 5th IFHNOS World Congress and the 2014 Annual Meeting of the AHNS. New York; 2014.
Ibrahim S, Mendes AP, Vaz I. Auditory-perceptual profile of fado's singing voice. In: 5th Occupational Voice Symposium. London; 2017.
Ibrahim S, Mendes AP, Vaz I. Acoustic analysis of Fado's speaking and singing voice. In: 5th Occupational Voice Symposium; 2017. http://comum.rcaap.pt/handle/10400.26/18201. Accessed November 28, 2017.
- Acoustic and phonatory characterization of the fado voice.J Voice. 2013; 27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2012.10.008
Kahle C. Qualidade vocal e ajustes vocais do cantor do Fado de Coimbra. 2012.
Pestana PM, Vaz-Freitas S, Manso MC. How many fado singers exist in Portugal? Regulation through cultural entrepreneurship. In: Negas M, Rodrigues C, Ribeiro J, et al., (Eds.) 7a Conferência Ibérica de Empreendedorismo: Empreender Para o Sucesso. Esposende: Empreend; 2017.
- Work-related voice disorder.Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2015; 81: 202-211https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjorl.2014.03.003
- The spectrum of vocal dysfunction.Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 1991; 24: 985-988
- Voice problems at work: a challenge for occupational safety and health arrangement.Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica. 2000; 52: 120-125https://doi.org/10.1159/000021519
- Occupational safety and health aspects of voice and speech professions.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2004; 56: 220-253https://doi.org/10.1159/000078344
- Voice impairment, disability, handicap, and medical/legal evaluation.in: Rubin JS Sataloff RT Korovin GS Diagnosis and Treatment of Voice Disorders. Plural Publishing, San Diego2014
- Classification Manual for Voice Disorders-I.Psychology Press, New York2013
Shewell C. Voice work: art and science in changing voices; 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470745588.
World Health Organization. International classification of impairments, disabilities, and handicaps: a manual of classification relating to the consequences of disease, published in accordance with resolution WHA29. 35 of the Twenty-ninth World Health Assembly, May 1976. 1980.
- Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment.American Medical Association Press, 1990
World Health Organization. International classification of functioning, disability, and health. In: International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health; 2001:1-3, 16, 123-124, 168-170.
- Prevalence and occupation of patients presenting with dysphonia in the United States.J Voice. 2017; 31: 594-600https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2017.01.011
- Voice disorders in the general population: prevalence, risk factors, and occupational impact.Laryngoscope. 2005; 115: 1988-1995https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mlg.0000179174.32345.41
- The impact of laryngeal disorders on work-related dysfunction.Laryngoscope. 2012; 122: 1589-1594https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.23197
- Occupational voice disorders: an analysis of diagnoses made and certificates issued in 1999-2004.Int J Occup Med Environ Health. 2005; 18: 341-349
- Prevalence and incidence of voice disorders in Opera singers.Int J Sci Res. 2016; 5: 1325-1327
- Prevalence of voice disorders in singers: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Voice. 2017; 31: 722-727
Beaud M, Amy de la Bretèque B, Pillot-Loiseau C, Henrich Bernardoni N. Prevalence of Voice Disorders in Singers. In: PEVOC 12. Ghent; 2017. http://www.pevoc.org/pevoc12/abstracts/FP019.pdf.
- Endoscopic and phoniatric evaluation in singing students.J Voice. 2017;
- Populations in the U.S. workforce who rely on voice as a primary tool of trade: a preliminary report.J Voice. 1997; 11: 254-259https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(97)80002-1
- Dysphonia in performers: toward a clinical definition of laryngology of the performing voice.J Voice. 2014; 28: 349-355https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2013.10.004
- Characteristics of a dysphonic population referred for voice assessment and/or voice therapy.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2015; 67: 178-186
- Description of patients consulting the voice clinic regarding gender, age, occupational status, and diagnosis.Eur Arch Oto-Rhino-Laryngol. 2017; 274: 1567-1576https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-016-4332-7
- Incidence of abnormal laryngeal findings in asymptomatic singing students.Otolaryngol - Head Neck Surg. 1999; 121: 69-77https://doi.org/10.1016/S0194-5998(99)70128-2
- Validation of an instrument to measure voice-related quality of life (V-RQOL).J Voice. 1999; 13: 557-569https://doi.org/10.1016/s0892-1997(99)80010-1
- The Voice Handicap Index (VHI): development and validation.Am J Speech-Language Pathol. 1997; 6: 66-69https://doi.org/10.1044/1058-0360.0603.66
- Vocal hygiene habits and vocal handicap among conservatory students of classical singing.J Voice. 2016; 30: 192-197https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2015.02.003
- A comparison of trained and untrained vocalists on the dysphonia severity index.J Voice. 2010; 24: 661-666https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2009.04.001
- The prevalence of voice problems among adults in the United States.Laryngoscope. 2014; 124: 2359-2362https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.24740
- Reflux symptoms in professional Opera choristers.Gastroenterology. 2007; 132: 890-898https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2007.01.047
- Reported vocal habits of first-year undergraduate musical theater majors in a preprofessional training program: a 10-year retrospective study.J Voice. 2014; 28: 316-323https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2013.11.011
- The traditional/acoustic music project: a study of vocal demands and vocal health.J Voice. 2012; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2011.09.002
- Backstage at broadway: a demographic study.J Voice. 2014; 28: 311-315https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2013.11.002
- Performer's attitudes toward seeking health care for voice issues: understanding the barriers.J Voice. 2009; 23: 225-228https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2007.08.003
- The vocal load of reform Jewish Cantors in the USA.J Voice. 2012; 26: 201-204https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2011.01.003
- Factors associated with singers’ perceptions of choral singing well-being.J Voice. 2013; 27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2013.06.004
- Frequency and risk factors for voice problems in teachers of singing and control subjects.J Voice. 1995; 9: 348-362https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(05)80197-3
- Perspectives on the impact on vocal function of heavy vocal load among working professional music theater performers.J Voice. 2013; 27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2012.12.003
- Pain in popular singers.J Soc Bras Fonoaudiol. 2012; 24: 374-380https://doi.org/10.1590/S2179-64912012000400014
- Body pain in classical choral singers.CoDAS. 2013; 25: 303-309https://doi.org/10.1590/S2317-17822013000400002
- Poor voice quality in future elite vocal performers and professional voice users.J Voice. 2002; 16: 372-382https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(02)00108-X
- Sintomas do trato vocal e índice de desvantagem vocal para o canto moderno em cantores evangélicos.CoDAS. 2017; 29: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1590/2317-1782/20172016187
- Allergic rhinitis and voice change.Logop Phoniatr Vocology. 2016; 41: 143-148
- Voice Change in Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis.J Voice. 2008; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2006.12.003
- A pilot survey of vocal health in young singers.J Voice. 2002; 16: 244-250https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(02)00093-0
- Prevalence of abnormal laryngeal findings in healthy singing teachers.J Voice. 2012; 26: 577-583https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2012.01.002
- Prevalence and risk factors of self-reported voice problems among Yakshagana artists.J Voice. 2017; (In Press)
- A comparative study of voice complaints and risk factors for voice complaints in female student teachers and practicing teachers early in their career.Eur Arch Oto-Rhino-Laryngology. 2006; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-005-1010-6
- Exploring attitudes of Indian classical singers toward seeking vocal health care.J Voice. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2015.10.002
- A joyful noise: the vocal health of worship leaders and contemporary Christian singers.J Voice. 2017; 31: 250.e17-250.e21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2016.07.012
- Self-reported voice problems among three groups of professional singers.J Voice. 1999; 13: 602-611https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(99)80014-9
- Health information-seeking behaviors among classically trained singers.J Voice. 2012; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2011.05.009
- The Swedish version of the Voice Handicap Index adapted for singers.Logop Phoniatr Vocology. 2010; 35: 129-137https://doi.org/10.3109/14015430903352592
- Characteristics of phonatory function in singers and nonsingers with vocal fold nodules.J Voice. 2011; 25: 714-724https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2010.06.003
- Contemporary commercial music singing students-voice quality and vocal function at the beginning of singing training.J Voice. 2017; (In Press)
Financial disclosure: This study was not funded by any company of source of funding.
Conflict of interest: Authors state that there is no conflict of interest.
☆Disclaimer: Preliminary results of this study were presented at 11° Corso Internazionale de Foniatria e Logopedia - La Voce Artistica 2017 (Ravenna, Italy). We declare that the study has not been submitted for publication in any journal.