To investigate the association between vocal fold Reinke’s edema, snoring, and obstructive sleep apnea.
Twenty-five patients diagnosed with Reinke’s edema and 25 patients with normal laryngeal examination, matched according to age, gender, and body mass index were recruited for this prospective study. Demographic data included age, gender, and body mass index. All patients filled the Berlin Questionnaire, STOP-BANG Sleep Apnea Questionnaire, and the Epworth Sleepiness Questionnaire.
Out of 25 patients with Reinke’s edema, 36% had Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) as evidenced by having two or more positive categories in the Berlin Questionnaire. In the control group, only 4% had OSA.The difference between the two groups was statistically significant (P value = 0.005). With respect to Epworth Sleepiness Scale and the STOP-BANG Sleep Apnea Questionnaire (P value > 0.05), there was no statistically significant difference between the two groups.
This investigation revealed higher prevalence of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea in patients with Reinke’s edema as evidenced by the Berlin Questionnaire. The caring physician should be alert to symptoms of airway obstruction for possible early intervention.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea in the general population: a systematic review.Sleep Med Rev. 2017; 34 (PubMed PMID: 27568340 H): 70-81
- Sleep apnea pathophysiology: upper airway and control of breathing.in: Guilleminault C. Partinen M. Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome: Clinical Research & Treatment. LippincottWilliams & Wilkins, Philadelphia1990
- The effect of pharyngeal soft tissue components on snoring.Clin Imaging. 2007; 31: 259-263
- Sleep, breathing and the nose.Sleep Med Rev. 2005; 9: 437-451
- Drug-induced sleep endoscopy: the VOTE classification.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2011; 268: 1233-1236
- Recent advances in obstructive sleep apnea pathophysiology and treatment.Sleep Biol Rhytms. 2015; 13: 26-40
- Sleep apnea: from the nose to the heart.J Am Board Fam Pract. 2002; 15: 128-141
- Diagnostic airway pressure recording in sleep apnea syndrome.Acta Otolaryngol. 1995; 115: 449-454
- A clinical study of Reinke's edema.Auris Nasus Larynx. 1988; 15: 57-78
- Validation of the Berlin questionnaire and American Society of Anesthesiologists checklist as screening tools for obstructive sleep apnea in surgical patients.Anesthesiology. 2008; 108: 822-830
Shahid A., Wilkinson K., Marcu S., et al. Stop-bang questionnaire. In STOP, THAT and One Hundred Other Sleep Scales 2011 (pp. 371–383). Springer, New York, NY.
- Reliability and factor analysis of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale.Sleep. 1992; 15: 376-381
- Diagnostic and therapeutic pitfalls in benign vocal fold diseases.GMS Curr Top Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013; 12: Doc012
- National, regional, and global trends in adult overweight and obesity prevalences.Popul Health Metr. 2012; 10 (PubMed PMID: 23167948; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC3543235): 22
- Association of obstructive sleep apnea with hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Global Health. 2018; 8: 1-10
- Abductor vocal fold palsy in the Shy-Drager syndrome presenting with snoring and sleep apnoea.J Laryngol Otol. 1996; 110: 681-682
- Peculiar snoring in patients with multiple system atrophy: its sound source, acoustic characteristics, and diagnostic significance.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1997; 106: 380
- The acoustic properties of snores.Eur Respir J. 1995; 8: 2120-2128
- Videoendoscopic assessment of uncommon sites of upper airway obstruction during sleep.Sleep Breath. 2000; 4: 131-136
- Effect of the 532 nm pulsed KTP laser in the treatment of Reinke's edema.Laryngoscope. 2012; 122: 2786-2792
- Steroid injection for Reinke's edema using fiberoptic laryngeal surgery.Acta Otolaryngol. 2003; 123: 417-420
- Office steroid injections of the larynx.Laryngoscope. 2006; 116: 1735-1739
- Steroid injection to vocal nodules using fiberoptic laryngeal surgery under topical anesthesia.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck. 2004; 261: 489-492
Published online: December 15, 2018
Accepted: December 4, 2018
There is no conflict of Interest or financial support in relation to this paper.
© 2018 The Voice Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.