Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- BelCanto: A History of Vocal Pedagogy.University of Toronto Press, Toronto/Buffalo/London1999
- Voice register terminology and standard pitch.STL-QPSR. 1963; 4: 17-23
- On pitch jumps between chest and falsetto registers in voice: data from living and excised human larynges.J Acoust Soc Am. 1999; 106: 1523-1531
- On vocal registers.J Phon. 1974; 2: 125-143
- Laryngeal vibratory mechanisms: the notion of vocal register revisited.J Voice. 2009; 23: 425-438
- Regulation of register, pitch and intensity of voice. An electromyographic investigation of intrinsic laryngeal muscles.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 1970; : 22
- Control of fundamental frequency, intensity and register of phonation.Haskins Laborat Status Rep Speech Res. 1976; 45: 175-185
- Laryngeal muscle activity and vocal fold adduction during chest, chestmix, headmix, and head registers in females.J Voice. 2012; 26: 182-193
- Cricothyroid muscle and thyroarytenoid muscle dominance in vocal register control: preliminary results.J Voice. 2014; 28: 652.e621-652.e629
- On the use of electroglottography for characterisation of the laryngeal mechanisms.in: Proceedings of SMAC 2003, Stockholm Music Acoustics Conference. 2. KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden2003: 455-458
- Electroglottographic study of the changes of voice registers.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 1987; 39: 280-289
- Laryngeal and pharyngeal behavior in countertenor and baritone singing—a videofiberscopic study.J Voice. 1988; 2: 132-139
- Glottal configuration associated with fundamental frequency and vocal register.J Voice. 1998; 12: 44-49
- Three registers in an untrained female singer analyzed by videokymography, strobolaryngoscopy and sound spectrography.J Acoust Soc Am. 2008; 123: 347-353
- The influence of vowels on vocal fold dynamics in the tenor's passaggio.J Voice. 2017; 31: 424-429
- Oscillatory characteristics of the vocal folds across the tenor passaggio.J Voice. 2017; 31: 381.e5-381.e14
- Laryngeal evidence for the first and second passaggio in professionally trained sopranos.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0175865
- High-speed imaging using rigid laryngoscopy for the analysis of register transitions in professional operatic tenors.Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2016; 41: 1-8
- High-speed imaging and electroglottography measurements of the open quotient in untrained male voices' register transitions.J Voice. 2010; 24: 644-650
- Analysis of vocal fold vibration during register change by high speed digital imaging system.Forum Acusticum Sevilla 2002 (CD-ROM). Sociedad Espańola de Acústica, Madrid2002
- The falsetto. A high-speed cinematographic study.Laryngoscope. 1960; 70: 1305-1324
- Observation and analysis of in vivo vocal fold tissue instabilities produced by nonlinear source-filter coupling: a case study.J Acoust Soc Am. 2011; 129: 326-339
Webb M. Mal Webb Sideways Yodeling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_6nNWX7TTI (accessed 2021).
- Spectral characteristics of the modal and falsetto registers.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 1972; 24: 337-344
Titze IR.Principles of Voice Production (second printing): national center for voice and speech iowa city IA 52242; 2000.
- Morphological structure of the vocal cord as a vibrator and its variations.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 1974; 26: 89-94
- Phonosurgery: basic and clinical investigations.Otologia (Fukuoka). 1975; 21: 239-242
- Membranous and cartilaginous vocal fold adduction in singing.J Acoust Soc Am. 2011; 129: 2253-2262
- Adjustment of glottal configurations in singing.J Sing. 2014; 70: 301-308
- Theoretical analysis of maximum flow declination rate versus maximum area declination rate in phonation.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2006; 49: 439-447
The Audacity Team. Audacity: free audio editor and recorder. https://www.audacityteam.org/(accessed 2021).
- The visual sort and rate method for perceptual evaluation in listening tests.Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2003; 28: 109-116
Granqvist S. Visor: visual sort and rate. http://www.tolvan.com/index.php?page=/visor/visor.php (accessed 2020).
Herbst CT. CogBioCreateKymogram - A FIJI (ImageJ) plugin for creating videokymograms from high-speed movie data. http://www.christian-herbst.org/index.php?page=fiji (accessed 2021).
- Image analysis of videokymographic data.in: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing. IEEE, (ICIP)2015: 78-82
- BAGLS, a multihospital benchmark for automatic glottis segmentation.Sci Data. 2020; 7: 1-12
- Intersegmenter variability in high-speed laryngoscopy-based glottal area waveform measures.Laryngoscope. 2020; 130: E654-E661
- A deep learning enhanced novel software tool for laryngeal dynamics analysis.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2021; 64: 1889-1903
- Phonovibrogram visualization of entire vocal fold dynamics.Laryngoscope. 2008; 118: 753-758
- Tutorial and guidelines on measurement of sound pressure level in voice and speech.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2018; 61: 441-461
Granqvist S, Švec JG. CalibrateVoiceSPL. Matlab scripts. http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/64231-calibratevoicespl (accessed June 2, 2020).
- Laryngeal stroboscopy—Normative values for amplitude, open quotient, asymmetry and phase difference in young adults.Clin Otolaryngol. 2019; 44: 158-165
- Normalized amplitude quotient for parametrization of the glottal flow.J Acoust Soc Am. 2002; 112: 701-710
- Dynamic extremes of voice in the light of time domain parameters extracted from the amplitude features of glottal flow and its derivative.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2002; 54: 144-157
- Quantitative study of mucosal wave via videokymography in canine larynges.Laryngoscope. 2000; 110: 1567-1573
- A methodological study of hemilaryngeal phonation.Laryngoscope. 1993; 103: 872-882
- An automatic method to quantify mucosal waves via videokymography.Laryngoscope. 2008; 118: 1504-1510
- Laryngeal vibrations: measurements of the glottic wave: part I. The normal vibratory cycle.AMA Arch Otolaryngol. 1958; 68: 1-19
- Glottal airflow and transglottal air pressure measurements for male and female speakers in soft, normal, and loud voice.J Acoust Soc Am. 1988; 84: 511-529
- Dependencies and Ill-designed parameters within high-speed videoendoscopy and acoustic signal analysis.J Voice. 2019; 33: 811.e811-811.e812
- Sound pressure level and spectral balance linearity and symmetry in the messa di voce of female classical singers.J Acoust Soc Am. 2007; 121: 1728-1736
- Measures of the glottal source spectrum.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2007; 50: 595-610
- Objective characterization of phonation type using amplitude of flow glottogram pulse and of voice source fundamental.J Voice. 2022; 36: 4-14
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; : 159-174
- Comparing chalk with cheese-the EGG contact quotient is only a limited surrogate of the closed quotient.J Voice. 2017; 31: 401-409
- Relationship between subglottal pressure and sound pressure level in untrained voices.J Voice. 2016; 30: 15-20
- Effects of subglottal pressure variation on professional baritone singers’ voice sources.J Acoust Soc Am. 1999; 105: 1965-1971
- Effects on the glottal voice source of vocal loudness variation in untrained female and male voices.J Acoust Soc Am. 2005; 117: 879-885
- Kinematic model for simulating mucosal wave phenomena on vocal folds.Biomed Signal Process Control. 2019; 49: 328-337
- Glottal airflow and glottal area waveform characteristics of flow phonation in untrained vocally healthy adults.J Voice. 2022; 36 (140.e141-140.e121)
- Investigation of four distinct glottal configurations in classical singing—a pilot study.J Acoust Soc Am. 2009; 125: EL104-EL109
- Experimental study of the frequency leap interval produced by the change of laryngeal vibratory mechanism during sustained notes.in: Bresin R Askenfelt A Proceedings of SMAC 2013, 4th Stockholm Music Acoustics Conference. KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden2013: 280-285
- Measurement of characteristic leap interval between chest and falsetto registers.J Voice. 2002; 16: 8-19
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: The authors declare that they have no financial conflicts of interest to disclose.
The work was supported by the Czech Science Foundation (GA CR) project no. 19-04477S. The stipend for doctoral studies of HL was provided by the Palacký University internal grant IGA_PrF_2021_017.