Materials and Method
Abbreviation:MTD (Muscle tension dysphonia), CVM (Cricothyroid visor maneuver), MCT (manual circumlaryngeal therapy), LMT (laryngeal manual therapy), VFTs (vocal facilitating techniques), CPPs (smoothed cepstral peak prominence), DSI (Dysphonia Severity Index), CAPE-V (Consensus Auditory-perceptual Evaluation of Voice), VTD (vocal tract discomfort scale), V-RQOL (voice related quality of life), MPT (maximum phonation time)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Manual therapy and exercise to improve outcomes in patients with muscle tension dysphonia: a case series.Phys Ther. 2015; 95: 117-128
Slavych BK, Zraick RI, Bursac Z, et al. An investigation of the relationship between adherence to voice therapy for muscle tension dysphonia and employment, social support, and life satisfaction. J Voice. 2019.
- Pathophysiology and treatment of muscle tension dysphonia: a review of the current knowledge.J Voice. 2011; 25: 202-207
- Effects of a voice therapy program for patients with muscle tension dysphonia.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2017; 69: 239-245
- Effects of the manual laryngeal musculoskeletal tension reduction technique as a treatment for functional voice disorders: perceptual and acoustic measures.J Voice. 1993; 7: 242-249
- Laryngeal manipulation for dysphagia with muscle tension dysphonia.Dysphagia. 2018; 33: 468-473
- Assessment and treatment of musculoskeletal tension in hyperfunctional voice disorders.Int J Speech-Lang Pathol. 2008; 10: 195-209
- The evidence for laryngeal manual therapies in the treatment of muscle tension dysphonia.Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011; 19: 171-176
Maris RM. The effects of cervical spine manipulation on phonation in patients with muscle tension dysphonia.
Sataloff RT, Abaza MM. Impairment, disability, and other medical-legal aspects of dysphonia 2000; 33:1143–52.
- Effects of voice therapy on muscle tension dysphonia: a systematic literature review.J Voice. 2018; 32: 546-552
- The treatment of muscle tension dysphonia: a comparison of two treatment techniques by means of an objective multiparameter approach.J Voice. 2010; 24: 294-301
- Vocal function exercises for muscle tension dysphonia: auditory-perceptual evaluation and self-assessment rating.J Voice. 2017; 31 (e25-e31): 506
- Musculoskeletal stress syndrome, extrinsic laryngeal muscles and body posture: theoretical considerations.Rev CEFAC. 2014; 16: 1639-1649
- Vertical laryngeal position: research findings and application for singers.J Voice. 1987; 1: 217-219
- The external frame function in the control of pitch in the human voice.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1968; 155: 68-90
Dehqan A, Ballard KJ. An evaluation of short-term treatment outcomes of cricothyroid visor maneuver: a proof-of-concept Pilot Study. J Voice. 2019.
- Laryngeal manual therapy: a preliminary study to examine its treatment effects in the management of muscle tension dysphonia.J Voice. 2009; 23: 353-366
- Manual circumlaryngeal therapy for functionaldysphonia: An evaluation of short-and long-term treatment outcomes.J Voice. 1997; 11: 321-331
- Positive effects of manual circumlaryngeal therapy in the treatment of Muscle Tension Dysphonia (MTD): Long term treatment outcomes.J Voice. 2019; 33: 866-871
- A study of vocal facilitating techniques compared to manual circumlaryngeal therapy in teachers with muscle tension dysphonia.J Voice. 2020; 34 (e11-e21): 963
- Manual circumlaryngeal techniques in the assessment and treatment of voice disorders.N CVS Status Prog Rep. 1998; 175: 175-179
- The voice clinic handbook.Compton Publishing Limited, 2018
- External laryngeal frame function in voice production revisited: a review.J Voice. 1996; 10: 78-92
- Objective dysphonia measures in the program Praat: smoothed cepstral peak prominence and acoustic voice quality index.J Voice. 2015; 29: 35-43
- The dysphonia severity index: an objective measure of vocal quality based on a multiparameter approach.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2000; 43: 796-809
- Measuring the Dysphonia Severity Index (DSI) in the program praat.J Voice. 2017; 31 (e29-e40): 644
- Validity and rater reliability of persian version of the consensus auditory perceptual evaluation of voice.Audiology. 2014; 23: 65-74
- Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the voice-related quality of life into Persian.J Voice. 2014; 28 (e1-e9): 842
- Vocal tract discomfort in teachers: its relationship to self-reported voice disorders.J Voice. 2013; 27: 473-480
- Applicability of the vocal tract discomfort (VTD) scale in evaluating the effects of voice therapy of occupational voice disorders.Med Pr. 2012; 63: 141-152
- The Vocal Tract Discomfort Scale: validity and reliability of the Persian version in the assessment of patients with muscle tension dysphonia.J Voice. 2016; 30: 711-716
- Validation of an instrument to measure voice-related quality of life (V-RQOL).J Voice. 1999; 13: 557-569
- A systematic review of voice therapy: What “effectiveness” really implies.J Voice. 2017; 31 (e13-. e32): 392
- Efficacy of manual circumlaryngeal therapy in patients with muscle tension dysphonia.Shiraz E-Med J. 2018; 19 (e64478)
- The applicability of the dysphonia severity index and the voice handicap index in evaluating effects of voice therapy and phonosurgery.J Voice. 2010; 24: 199-205
- Outcome of laryngeal manual therapy in four Dutch adults with persistent moderate-to-severe vocal hyperfunction: a pilot study.J Voice. 2004; 18: 467-474
- Investigation of the immediate effects of two semi-ocluded vocal tract exercises.Pró-Fono Revista de Atualização Científica. 2008; 20: 261-266
- The vocal aerodynamic change in female patients with muscular tension dysphonia after voice training.J Voice. 2014; 28 (e7-. e10): 393
Gillespie AI, Gartner-Schmidt J, Rubinstein EN, et al. Aerodynamic profiles of women with muscle tension dysphonia/aphonia. 2013.
- Long-term outcome of hyper functional voice disorders based on a multiparameter approach.J Voice. 2007; 21: 179-188
- Effect of smathieson laryngeal manual therapy in patients with muscle tension dysphonia after a therapeutic course.Modern Rehabilit. 2021; 15: 73-82
- Muscle tension dysphonia and spasmodic dysphonia: the role of manual laryngeal tension reduction in diagnosis and management. Annals of Otology.Rhinol Laryngol. 1996; 105: 851-856
Boone DR, McFarlane SC, Von Berg SL, et al. The voice and voice therapy. 2005.