Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Respiratory Masks for Combat COVID-19 Pandemic and Public Healthcare.in: Singapore International Conference on Public Health 2020 (SICPH-2020), Singapore. 2020 (Available at:)https://scholars.cityu.edu.hk/en/publications/publication(0226280c-05fa-4e67-bb70-156cef6718e6).html(Accessed September 22, 2021)
- Acoustic effects of medical, cloth, and transparent face masks on speech signals.J Acoust Soc Am. 2020; 148: 2371-2375https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0002279
- Intelligibility and recall of sentences spoken by adult and child talkers wearing face masks.J Acoust Soc Am. 2021; 150: 1674-1681https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0006098
- How do medical masks degrade speech perception.Hearing Rev. 2020; 27 (Available at:) (Accessed September 22, 2021): 8-9https://hearingreview.com/hearing-loss/health-wellness/how-do-medical-masks-degrade-speech-reception
- Effects of face masks on acoustic analysis and speech perception: Implications for peri-pandemic protocols.J Acoust Soc Am. 2020; 148: 3562-3568https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0002873
- Acoustic voice characteristics with and without wearing a facemask.Sci Rep-UK. 2021; 11: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-85130-8
- Speaking with a KN95 face mask: ASR performance and speaker compensation.in: 22nd Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association, INTERSPEECH. 2021 (Available at:)Accessed September 22, 2021)
- Speech intelligibility assessment of protective facemasks and air-purifying respirators.J Occup Environ Hyg. 2016; 13: 960-968https://doi.org/10.1080/15459624.2016.1200723
- Effect of tone height on jaw and tongue articulation in Mandarin Chinese.in: International symposium on tonal aspects of languages: With emphasis on tone languages. 2004 (Available at:)Accessed September 22, 2021)
- Defensive scientific and technical laboratory.The UK General Service Respirator. Porton Down, United Kingdom2003
- Critical spectral regions for vowel identification.Neurosci Res. 2002; 43: 155-162https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-0102(02)00026-3
- Acoustic markers of sarcasm in Cantonese and English.J Acoust Soc Am. 2009; 126: 1394-1405https://doi.org/10.1121/1.3177275
- Application of the mandarin Chinese version of the voice handicap index.J Voice. 2010; 24: 702-707https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2009.05.007
Svec JG, Granqvist S. Guidelines for selecting microphones for human voice production research. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1044/1058-0360(2010/09-0091). Accessed August 15, 2022.
- Mobile digital recording: adequacy of the iRig and iOS device for acoustic and perceptual analysis of normal voice.J Voice. 2017; 31: 236-242https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2016.05.023
Boersma P, Weenink D. Praat: doing phonetics by computer [Computer program]. Version 6.0. 2018, February 3.
- The maximum audible low-pass cutoff frequency for speech.J Acoust Soc Am. 2019; 146: EL496-EL501https://doi.org/10.1121/1.5140032
Daniel RM. phonR: tools for phoneticians and phonologists. R package version 1.0-7. 2016. Available at: https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/phonR/index.html. Accessed May 13, 2022.
R Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Available at: https://www.r-project.org. Accessed May 13, 2022
- Fitting linear mixed-effects models using lme4.J Stat Softw. 2015; 67: 1-48https://doi.org/10.18637/jss.v067.i01
Wong WYP. Syllable fusion and speech rate in Hong Kong Cantonese. In Speech Prosody 2004, International Conference. Available at: https://www.isca-speech.org/archive_open/sp2004/sp04_255.pdf. Accessed September 22, 2021.
Bauer R, Benedict P. Modern Cantonese Phonology. De Gruyter Mouton; 2011.
- Production and perception of a sound change in progress: Tone merging in Hong Kong Cantonese.Lang Var Change. 2013; 25: 341-370https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954394513000161
- Generational differences in production of a tonal contrast in Hong Kong Cantonese.in: Proceedings of the 19th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences. 2019: 186-190 (Available at:)Accessed March 6, 2022)
- Voice differences when wearing and not wearing a surgical mask.J Voice. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2021.01.026
- Acoustic effects of non-transparent and transparent face coverings.J Acoust Soc Am. 2021; 149: 2249-2254https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0003962
- Clear speech adaptations in spontaneous speech produced by young and older adults.J Acoust Soc Am. 2018; 144: 1331-1346https://doi.org/10.1121/1.5053218
- Relationship between tongue positions and formant frequencies in female speakers.J Acoust Soc Am. 2016; 139: 426-440https://doi.org/10.1121/1.4939894
- COVID-19: acoustic measures of voice in individuals wearing different facemasks.J Voice. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2021.06.015
- Speech science primer: Physiology, acoustics, and perception of speech.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2007
- Reliability of human-supervised formant-trajectory measurement for forensic voice comparison.J Acoust Soc Am. 2013; 133: EL54-EL60https://doi.org/10.1121/1.4773223
- Acoustic characteristics of highly distinguishable Cantonese entering and non-entering tones.J Acoust Soc Am. 2018; 143: 765-779https://doi.org/10.1121/1.5021251
- The effects of the use of protective face mask on the voice and its relation to self-perceived voice changes.J Voice. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2021.04.014
- Does the wearing of masks change voice and speech parameters?.Eur Arch Oto-Rhino-L. 2021; : 1-8https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-021-07086-9
- Laryngeal and pharyngeal activity during semioccluded vocal tract postures in subjects diagnosed with hyperfunctional dysphonia.J Voice. 2013; 27: 709-716https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2013.05.007