Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Self-reported impact of dysphonia in a primary care population: an epidemiological study.Laryngoscope. 2010; 120: 2022-2032https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.21058
- Auditory adaptation in vocal affect perception.Cognition. 2010; 117: 217-223https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cognition.2010.08.008
- Learning-induced changes in the cerebral processing of voice identity.Cere Cor. 2011; 21: 2820-2828https://doi.org/10.1093/cercor/bhr077
- Review: occupational risks for voice problems.Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2001; 26: 37-46
- Populations in the U.S. workforce who rely on voice as a primary tool of trade: a preliminary report.J Voice. 2022; 11 (1997 September 1 Cited November 3): 254-259https://doi.org/10.1016/s0892-1997(97)80002-1
- Occupational groups at risk of voice disorders: a review of the literature.Occu Med. 2003; 53: 456-460https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/kqg113
- Voice DAJ of, 2015 undefined. Hoarseness and risk factors in university teachers.J Voice. 2015; 29: 518e21-518e28https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2014.09.008
- Voice problems in the fitness industry: factors associated with chronic hoarseness.Int J Speech Lang Pathol. 2015; 17: 441-450https://doi.org/10.3109/17549507.2014.987820
- Perceptual-auditory and acoustic analysis of air traffic controllers’ voices pre- and postshift.J Voice. 2016; 30: 768e11-768e15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2015.10.021
- Risk factors for voice disorders in university professors in Cyprus.J Voice. 2018; 32: 643e1-643e9https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2017.07.005
- Effect of dysphonia and cognitive-perceptual listener strategies on speech intelligibility.J Voice. 2020; 34: 806e7-806e18https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2019.03.013
- Inferring speaker attributes in adductor spasmodic dysphonia: ratings from unfamiliar listeners.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2014; 23: 134-145https://doi.org/10.1044/2013_AJSLP-13-0010
- Prevalence of occupational voice disorders in teachers.J Prev Med Hyg. 2009; 50: 26-32
- The impact of voice disorders among teachers: vocal complaints, treatment-seeking behavior, knowledge of vocal care, and voice-related absenteeism.J Voice. 2011; 25: 570-575https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2010.04.008
- Voice disorders in primary school teachers and barriers to care.J Voice. 2012 January 1; 26: 69-76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2010.09.001
- The phonetic description of voice quality.J Int Phonet Asso. 1981; 11: 78-84
- Listeners’ attitudes toward children with voice problems.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2013; 56 (Accessed November 3 2022) (Accessed November 3 2022): 1409-1415https://doi.org/10.1044/1092-4388(2013/11-0242)
- Listeners’ attitude toward people with dysphonia.J Voice. 2013 July 1; 27 (524.e1-518.104.22.1686/j.jvoice.2013.01.015)
Morsomme D, Minel L,Verduyckt I. Impact of teachers'voice quality on children's language. 2011. orbi.uliege.be [Internet].https://orbi.uliege.be/handle/2268/101472.
- Perception of individuals with voice disorders by monolingual English, bilingual Cantonese–English, and bilingual Russian-English women.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2022; 49 (2006 August 1 Cited August 5): 879-887https://doi.org/10.1044/1092-4388(2006/063)
Rogerson J, Voice BDJ of. 2005 undefined. Is there an effect of dysphonic teachers’ voices on children's processing of spoken language?https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0892199704000384 Accessed November 3 2022; 2005. Elsevier [Internet].
- Listeners’ perceptions of speech and language disorders.J Commun Disord. 2008 March 1; 41: 108-123https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcomdis.2007.05.002
- Breathiness as a feminine voice characteristic: a perceptual approach.J Voice. 2009; 23: 291-294https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2007.08.002
- Perceptions of voice disorders: a survey of Arab adults.Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2014; 39: 87-97https://doi.org/10.3109/14015439.2013.784803
- Impressions of personality from intentional voice quality in Arabic-speaking and native Finnish-speaking listeners.J Voice. 2022; 35 (2021 March 1 Cited August 5): 326.e21-326.e28https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2019.09.003
Fraccaro P, O'Connor J, Re D, et al. 2013 Undefined. Faking it: deliberately altered voice pitch and vocal attractiveness.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003347212004769.
Puts DA, Barndt JL, Welling LLM, et al. Intrasexual competition among women: vocal femininity affects perceptions of attractiveness and flirtatiousness.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S019188691000454X. Accessed November 3 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
- Is the perception of dysphonia severity language-dependent? A comparison of French and Italian voice assessments.Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2015; 40: 36-43https://doi.org/10.3109/14015439.2013.837503
Chaves C, Campbell M. Voice AGJ of, 2017 undefined. The influence of native language on auditory-perceptual evaluation of vocal samples completed by Brazilian and Canadian SLPs.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S089219971630073X. Accessed November 3 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
Kreiman J. Phonetics BGJ of, 2010 undefined. Effects of native language on perception of voice quality.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0095447010000641. Accessed November 3 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
Gobl C. sciences ACT handbook of phonetic, 2010 undefined. 11 Voice source variation and its communicative functions. books.google.com [Internet].https://books.google.com.br/books?hl=pt-BR&lr=&id=ydEcgI_rDtsC&oi=fnd&pg=PA378&dq=Voice+source+variation+&ots=Ai1e9vXw_K&sig=PrBZl1BniY0rkMlh_-5fvdkLLoc. Accessed November 3 2022.
- The effect of information on listeners’ attitudes toward speakers with voice or resonance disorders.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2000; 43: 782-795https://doi.org/10.1044/jslhr.4303.782
Wilson D. Pragmatics TWJ of, 2006 undefined. Relevance and prosody.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378216606000397. Accessed November 3 2022; 2006. Elsevier [Internet].
- The effect of information and severity on perception of speakers with adductor spasmodic dysphonia.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2017 May 1; 26: 327-341https://doi.org/10.1044/2016_AJSLP-15-0191
Lyberg-Åhlander V, … MH… journal of speech. 2015 undefined. Does the Speaker's Voice Quality Influence Children's Performance on a Language Comprehension Test? Cited November 3 2022.https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/17549507.2014.898098; 2015 February 1. Taylor & Francis [Internet]:17(1):63.
Levitt AG, Lucas M. The effects of four voice qualities on the perception of a female voice. 2016.https://repository.wellesley.edu/islandora/object/ir%3A248/datastream/PDF/view. Accessed November 3 2022.
Poon M, Chan K. 9th EYP of the, 2018 undefined. The relationship between speech rate, voice quality and listeners’ purchase intentions. isca-speech.org [Internet].https://www.isca-speech.org/archive_v0/SpeechProsody_2018/pdfs/114.pdf. Accessed November 3 2022.
- Is perceived dysphonia related to perceived healthiness?.Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2015; 40: 122-128https://doi.org/10.3109/14015439.2014.915981
Parker M. Voice SBJ of, 2018 undefined. Judgments of intelligence and likability of young adult female speakers of American English: the influence of vocal fry and the surrounding acoustic-prosodic context.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0892199717301868. Accessed November 3 2022; 2017. Elsevier [Internet].
- Vocal beauty: a mediating variable in the negative stereotyping of dysphonic speakers.Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2022; 45 (2020 October 1 Cited August 5): 164-171https://doi.org/10.1080/14015439.2019.1694697
- Listeners’ perceptions of normal and voice-disordered children.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2022; 40 (1988 Cited November 3): 290-296https://doi.org/10.1159/000265922
- Judging personality and appearance from voice disorders.J Commun Disord. 1979; 12: 63-67https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9924(79)90022-4
- Inferring speakers’ physical attributes from their voices.J Exp Soc Psychol. 2002; 38: 618-625https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1031(02)00510-3
- A comparison of the contributions of two voice quality characteristics to the perception of maleness and femaleness in the voice.J Speech Hear Res. 2022; 19 (1976 Cited August 5): 168-180https://doi.org/10.1044/jshr.1901.168
- Listeners’ attitudes toward voice disorders: an interaction between auditory and visual stimuli.J Commun Disord. 2022; 99106241https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcomdis.2022.106241
Anders L, Hollien H, Hurme P, … ASF. 1988 undefined. Perception of hoarseness by several classes of listeners. psycnet.apa.org [Internet].https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1989-17810-001. Accessed August 5 2022.
Barkat-Defradas M, … CB… sur la parole et. 2012 undefined. dimension esthétique des voix normales et dysphoniques: approches perceptive et acoustique. Journals.openedition.org [Internet].https://journals.openedition.org/tipa/204. Accessed August 4 2022.
Bruckert L, Bestelmeyer P, Latinus M. biology JRC, 2010 undefined. Vocal attractiveness increases by averaging.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982209020491. Accessed November 3 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
- Cross-cultural attitudes toward speech disorders.J Speech Hear Res. 1992; 35: 45-52https://doi.org/10.1044/jshr.3501.45
Garrett P. Attitudes to language [Internet].https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=BdAE2ZnBfocC&oi=fnd&pg=PR1&dq=attitudes+to+language+book&ots=Wk9RNYYKLA&sig=fM2xQZ6L3F-PFMeiQ7b0PuA64dk. Accessed August 5 2022; 2010.
Battle D. Communication disorders in multicultural populations [Internet].https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=WYmOtLypNiUC&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&ots=gBjSjZ8pyZ&sig=y0a6OXAMCd9MgIg1DncioCeLgDQ. Accessed August 5 2022; 2012.
- Cross-cultural recognition of basic emotions through nonverbal emotional vocalizations.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2022; 107 (2010 February 9 Cited August 5): 2408-2412https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0908239106
Osgood C, Suci G, Tannenbaum P. The measurement of meaning. 1957.https://books.google.com.br/books?hl=pt-BR&lr=&id=Qj8GeUrKZdAC&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&dq=The+Measurement+of+Meaning&ots=RJL8ZWHOcf&sig=1wTX94FpiQ6fbYAEyPhProOYgqg. Accessed November 3 2022.
measurement DHA, 1970 undefined. The semantic differential and attitude research. kb-research.ca [Internet] Cited November 3 2022.https://kb-research.ca/archives/ACT/recovered/SemanticDifferential.pdf; 1970:235-253.
Consensus auditory-perceptual evaluation of voice … - Google Acadêmico [Internet].https://scholar.google.com.br/scholar?hl=pt-BR&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=Consensus+auditory-perceptual+evaluation+of+voice+%28CAPE-V%29%2C+ASHA+2003&btnG=. Accessed November 3 2022.
Ugulino A, Oliveira G. de MBJ da SB, 2012 undefined. disfonia na percepção do clínico e do paciente cited november 3 2022;24:113–21.https://www.scielo.br/j/jsbf/a/hGvrBdkP9BMQhj8yhMwNynw/abstract/?lang=pt; 2012. Brasil: SciELO [Internet].
- Reliability of clinician-based (GRBAS and CAPE-V) and patient-based (V-RQOL and IPVI) documentation of voice disorders.J Voice. 2022; 21 (2007 September Cited November 6): 576-590https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2006.05.001
- The perception and parameters of intentional voice manipulation.J Nonverbal Behav. 2014; 38: 107-127https://doi.org/10.1007/s10919-013-0163-z
Waaramaa T, Lukkarila P, Järvinen K. Voice AGJ of, 2021 undefined. Impressions of personality from intentional voice quality in Arabic-speaking and native Finnish-speaking listeners.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0892199719302462. Accessed November 3 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
- Maxims or myths of beauty? A meta-analytic and theoretical review.Psychol Bull. 2000; 126: 390-423https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.126.3.390
Hughes S., Personal NMJ of S and, 2016 undefined. What sounds beautiful looks beautiful stereotype: the matching of attractiveness of voices and faces. journals.sagepub.com [Internet] Cited November 3 2022.https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0265407515612445?casa_token=YLXgjJs2PX8AAAAA:mrF3hOOBAWx8yJlPjp5SyYLC_GH4pU6JC-As7SlaIoYUYKZFnUhNbcIHWfZS-sDx92Gfquc8vx8; 2016 November 1;33:984-996.
- Human cortical organization for processing vocalizations indicates representation of harmonic structure as a signal attribute.J Neurosci. 2022; 29 (2009) (Accessed November 3): 2283-2296https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4145-08.2009
Listeners’ perceptions of females with hoarse and … - Google Acadêmico [Internet].https://scholar.google.com.br/scholar?hl=pt-BR&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=Listeners%E2%80%99+perceptions+of+females+with+hoarse+and+normal+voice+quality&btnG=. Accessed November 3 2022.
- How do you say “hello”? Personality impressions from brief novel voices.PLOS ONE. 2014; 9https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0090779
- Semantic differential for the twenty-first century: scale relevance and uncertainty entering the semantic space.Qual Quant. 2019; 53: 435-448https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-018-0762-1
Belin P, Zatorre R. Research PACB, 2002 undefined. Human temporal-lobe response to vocal sounds.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0926641001000842. Accessed November 3 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
Belin P. Neuroreport RZ, 2003 Undefined. Adaptation to speaker's voice in right anterior temporal lobe. journals.lww.com [Internet].https://journals.lww.com/neuroreport/Fulltext/2003/11140/Adaptation_to_speaker_s_voice_in_right_anterior.19.aspx. Accessed November 3 2022.
Smith E, Verdolini K, Gray S, et al. Effects of voice disorders on quality of life. 2016 December 13 Cited August 5 2022;4:223-244.https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1016/S0194-5998%2805%2980764-8. [Internet].
- Questionnaire survey of attitudes and concerns of patients with cleft lip and palate and their parents.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1991; 28: 279-284https://doi.org/10.1597/1545-1569_1991_028_0279_qsoaac_2.3.co_2
Gobl C. communication ACS, 2003 Undefined. The role of voice quality in communicating emotion, mood and attitude.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167639302000821. Accessed November 3 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
Liu X. ICPhS YX, 2011 undefined. What Makes à Female Voice Attractive? researchgate.net [Internet] Cited November 3 2022.https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Yi-Xu-20/publication/267219102_WHAT_MAKES_A_FEMALE_VOICE_ATTRACTIVE/links/575a935b08ae414b8e464baa/WHAT-MAKES-A-FEMALE-VOICE-ATTRACTIVE.pdf; 2011;17-21.
Kreiman J, Today DSA. 2011 undefined. Voices and listeners: toward a model of voice perception. acousticstoday.org [Internet].https://acousticstoday.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Article_1of4_from_ATCODK_7_4.pdf. Accessed November 3 2022.
Hughes S, Dispenza F. Behavior GGJE and H, 2004 undefined. Ratings of voice attractiveness predict sexual behavior and body configuration Cited November 3 2022.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S109051380400042X; 2004. Elsevier [Internet];25:295-304.
Blood G, Mahan B. Disorders MHJ of communication, 1979 undefined. Judging personality and appearance from voice disorders.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0021992479900224. Accessed November 3 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
- Perceptual characteristics of female voices.Lang Speech. 1981; 24: 111-123https://doi.org/10.1177/002383098102400201
- Voices of Africa: acoustic predictors of human male vocal attractiveness.Anim Behav. 2017; 127: 205-211https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anbehav.2017.03.014
Kreiman J, Sidtis D. Foundations of voice studies: An interdisciplinary approach to voice production and perception. 2011.https://books.google.com.br/books?hl=pt-BR&lr=&id=w4v2GujpazQC&oi=fnd&pg=PA237&dq=An+interdisciplinar+approach+to+voice+production+and+perception&ots=EdnooGqDdR&sig=mAVKF9QXYcoGXTWqXI4YAd4r6W4. Accessed November 3 2022.
Logopaedica JOFP et, 2009 undefined. Auditory-perceptual evaluation of disordered voice quality. karger.com [Internet].https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/200768. Accessed November 3 2022; 2009.
- When and why listeners disagree in voice quality assessment tasks.J Acoust Soc Am. 2007; 122: 2354-2364https://doi.org/10.1121/1.2770547
- Adolescents’ perceptions of normal and voice-disordered children.J Commun Disord. 1991; 24: 267-274https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9924(91)90002-z
Wolk L, Abdelli-Beruh N. Voice DSJ of, 2012 undefined. Habitual use of vocal fry in young adult female speakers.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0892199711000701. Accessed November 3 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
Speech IYA. 2010 Undefined. creaky voice: a new feminine voice quality for young urban-oriented upwardly mobile american women? read.dukeupress.edu [Internet] Cited November 3 2022.https://read.dukeupress.edu/american-speech/article-abstract/85/3/315/5885?casa_token=AsRiaVNop0EAAAAA:zv6-NOU0j_kFdcj7Cdt8Tyfx-jcdkH9chw_GuDibf1_M4xV8_GS1mmbrJiON8705ONlSPCk; 2010;85.
- Creak as a sociophonetic marker.J Acoust Soc Am. 1986; 80 (S1)-S50: S50https://doi.org/10.1121/1.2023837
Bruckert L, Bestelmeyer P, Latinus M. biology JRC, 2010 undefined. Vocal attractiveness increases by averaging.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982209020491. Accessed August 4 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
Lett Apicella BC, Feinberg D, Marlowe F. Voice pitch predicts reproductive success in male. faculty.bennington.edu [Internet] Cited November 3 2022.http://faculty.bennington.edu/∼sherman/sex/Voice%20pitch%202007.pdf; 2007 December 22;3:682-684.
Jones B, Feinberg D, Debruine L. et al., 2010 undefined. A domain-specific opposite-sex bias in human preferences for manipulated voice pitch.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003347209004527. Accessed November 3 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
- Can listeners assess men's self-reported health from their voice?.Evol Hum Behav. 2021; 42: 91-103https://doi.org/10.1016/j.evolhumbehav.2020.08.001
Fraccaro P, Jones B, Vukovic J, … FSJ of. undefined. Experimental evidence that women speak in a higher voice pitch to men they find attractive. akjournals.com [Internet].https://akjournals.com/view/journals/1126/9/1/article-p57.xml. Accessed November 3 2022:2011.
McKinnon S, Hess C. Disorders RLJ of C, 1986 undefined. Reactions of college students to speech disorders.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0021992486900055. Accessed November 3 2022. Elsevier [Internet].
- The attractive voice: what makes it So?.J Nonverbal Behav. 1993; 17: 119-135https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01001960
- What sounds beautiful is good: the vocal attractiveness stereotype.J Nonverbal Behav. 1988; 13: 67-82https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00990791
Pisanski K. perception DFO handbook of voice, 2019 undefined. vocal attractiveness. researchgate.net [Internet].https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Katarzyna-Pisanski/publication/334151544_Vocal_attractiveness/links/5d1a6461a6fdcc2462b728ea/Vocal-attractiveness.pdf. Accessed August 4 2022; 2018.
- More than the sum of its parts: intersections of sexual orientation and race as they influence perceptions of group similarity and stereotype content.Sex Roles. 2021; 84: 554-573https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-020-01185-3
- Sexy, thin, and white: the intersection of sexualization, body type, and race on stereotypes about women.Sex Roles. 2021; 85: 287-300https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-020-01221-2
- Race × class stereotypes of women.Sex Roles. 1985; 13: 65-75https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00287461
- How basic can you be? The evolution of research on gender stereotypes.J Soc Issues. 1995; 51: 11-20https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1995.tb01305.x
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Institution: This study was conducted at the Graduate Program in Linguistics of UFPB, João Pessoa, Paraíba, Brazil.
This research was funded by the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico-CNPq).