Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
World Health Organization. Novel Coronavirus−China. WHO; 2020. Available at: https://www.who.int/csr/don/12-january-2020-novelcoronavirus-china/en/. Accessed April 6, 2020.
Türkiye Cumhuriyeti İçişleri Bakanliği. 81 İl Valiliği'ne Koronavirüs Tedbirleri Konulu Ek Genelge. Available at: https://www.icisleri.gov.tr/81-il-valiligine-koronavirus-tedbirleri-konulu-ek-genelge-gonderildi-08-09-20. Accessed September 8, 2020.
- Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2020; 395: 1973-1987https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31142-9
- Face masks: benefits and risks during the COVID-19 crisis.Eur J Med Res. 2020; 25: 32https://doi.org/10.1186/s40001-020-00430-5
- Filtration efficiencies of nanoscale aerosol by cloth mask materials used to slow the spread of SARS-CoV-2.ACS nano. 2020; 14: 9188-9200https://doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.0c05025
- The effects of N95 mask and face shield on speech perception among healthcare workers in the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic scenario.The J Laryngol Otol. 2020; 134: 895-898https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022215120002108
- Acoustic effects of medical, cloth, and transparent face masks on speech signals.J Acoust Soc Am. 2020; 148: 2371https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0002279
- Influence of surgical and N95 face masks on speech perception and listening effort in noise.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0253874https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0253874
- Effect of face mask on voice production during COVID-19 pandemic: a systematic review.J Voice. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2021.09.027
- Effects of face masks on acoustic analysis and speech perception: implications for peri-pandemic protocols.J Acoust Soc Am. 2020; 148: 3562https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0002873
- Effect of wearing a face mask on vocal self-perception during a pandemic.J Voice. 2020; 36: 878https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2020.09.006
- Prevalence of voice disorders in healthcare workers in the universal masking COVID-19 era.Laryngoscope. 2021; 131: E1227-E1E33https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.29172
- Effects of medical masks on voice assessment during the COVID-19 pandemic.J Voice. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2021.04.028
- Acoustic voice analysis in the COVID-19 era.Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2021; 41: 1-5https://doi.org/10.14639/0392-100X-N1002
- Acoustic voice characteristics with and without wearing a facemask.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 5651https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-85130-8
- Voice differences when wearing and not wearing a surgical mask.J Voice. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2021.01.026
- Determination of the acoustic properties of Turkish ling six sounds used in speech tests.Speech, Lang Hear. 2021; 25: 377-387https://doi.org/10.1080/2050571X.2021.1965820
- Determination of the voice parameters in adult individuals with rheumatoid arthritis and the relation of voice with depression and inflammation.J Voice. 2020; 36: 880https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2020.09.014
- Disease related changes in vocal parameters of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2022; 47: 202-208https://doi.org/10.1080/14015439.2021.1917653
- Reliability and validity of the Turkish version of the voice handicap index.Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg. 2008; 18: 139-147
- Recommended protocols for instrumental assessment of voice: american speech-language-hearing association expert panel to develop a protocol for instrumental assessment of vocal function.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2018; 27: 887-905https://doi.org/10.1044/2018_AJSLP-17-0009
- A basic protocol for functional assessment of voice pathology, especially for investigating the efficacy of (phonosurgical) treatments and evaluating new assessment techniques. Guideline elaborated by the Committee on Phoniatrics of the European Laryngological Society (ELS).Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2001; 258: 77-82https://doi.org/10.1007/s004050000299
P Boersma DW. Praat: doing phonetics by computer [Computer software version 6.0.36]2017.
- Report of the Consensus Conference on Auditory-Perceptual Evaluation of Voice.In Annual Convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Atlanta, GA2002
Özcebe E, Aydinli FE, Tiğrak TK, et al. Reliability and validity of the Turkish version of the Consensus Auditory-Perceptual Evaluation of Voice (CAPE-V). J Voice. 2019;33:382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2017.11.013. e1–e10.
- How do medical masks degrade speech perception.Hearing review. 2020; 27: 8-9
- Phonation with a variably occluded facemask: effects of task duration.J Voice. 2022; 36: 183-193https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2020.05.011
- Voice training and therapy with a semi-occluded vocal tract: rationale and scientific underpinnings.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2006; 49: 448-459https://doi.org/10.1044/1092-4388(2006/035
- Immediate effects of the semi-occluded ventilation mask on subjects diagnosed with functional dysphonia and subjects with normal voices.J Voice. 2020; 34: 398-409https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2018.10.004
- A voice rehabilitation protocol with the semioccluded ventilation mask in subjects with symptoms of vocal fatigue and phonatory effort.J Voice. 2023; 37: 60-67https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2020.10.011
- Effects of a variably occluded face mask on the aerodynamic and acoustic characteristics of connected speech in patients with and without voice disorders.J Voice. 2019; 33 (e1- e10): 809https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2018.03.002
- Semioccluded vocal tract exercises: literature review.Revista CEFAC. 2013; 15: 1679-1689https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-18462013005000041
- Effectiveness of Semi-Occluded Vocal Tract Exercises (SOVTEs) in patients with dysphonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Voice. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2021.06.009
- Immediate effects of the semi-occluded vocal tract exercise with LaxVox® tube in singers.Codas. 2016; 28: 618-624https://doi.org/10.1590/2317-1782/20162015168
- Reliable jitter and shimmer measurements in voice clinics: the relevance of vowel, gender, vocal intensity, and fundamental frequency effects in a typical clinical task.J Voice. 2011; 25: 44-53https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2009.07.002
- Acoustic perturbation measures improve with increasing vocal intensity in individuals with and without voice disorders.J Voice. 2018; 32: 162-168https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2017.04.008
- Speech and Voice Science.Fourth ed. Plural publishing, San Diego,CA2021
- Turkish: A Comprehensive Grammar.First ed. Routledge, Oxon2005