Vocal fold nodules (VFNs) are bilateral, mid-membranous, swellings of the vocal folds. Intralesional steroid injection was successfully tried in the management of benign vocal fold lesions including nodules. The aim of the present study was to compare treatment outcomes of vocal fold steroid injection (VFSI) and surgery in patients with VFNs in terms of lesion regression, subjective, and objective voice parameters.
Nonrandomized controlled clinical trial.
This bicenter interventional study was conducted on 32 patients with VFNs, in the age range of 16–63 years. Sixteen patients underwent transnasal VFSI under local anesthesia (the injection group), and 16 underwent surgical excision of the nodules under general anesthesia (the surgery group). Prior to intervention and at the follow-up visit, participants were subjected to videolaryngoscopic examination with evaluation of nodules’ sizes as well as subjective voice assessment by auditory perceptual assessment (APA) of voice and the international nine-item Voice Handicap Index (VHI-9i). Objective voice assessments including the measurements of cepstral peak prominence, jitter, shimmer, harmonic to noise ratio, and maximum phonation time were also administered.
The size of vocal fold nodules was significantly decreased postintervention in both studied groups. There was a decrease in the VHI-9i score, a decrease in the values of jitter and shimmer, together with an increase in the values of cepstral peak prominence and maximum phonation time after interventions indicating improvement of subjective and objective voice outcomes in both groups.
Office-based transnasal VFSI is a safe and tolerable therapy option for VFNs. Voice outcomes of VFSI were comparable to surgery, hereby VFSI can be considered a promising therapy for VFNs and could be used as an alternative to surgery in selected cases.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Voice
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A nomenclature paradigm for benign midmembranous vocal fold lesions.Laryngoscope. 2012; 122: 1335-1341https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.22421
- Office-Based Laryngeal Surgery.Springer Nature, Switzerland2022
- The prevalence of laryngeal pathology in a treatment-seeking population with dysphonia.Laryngoscope. 2010; 120: 306-312https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.20696
- Vocal fold nodules: morphological and immunohistochemical investigations.J Voice. 2010; 24: 531-539https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2009.01.002
- Phonomicrosurgery in vocal fold nodules: quantification of outcomes in professional and non-professional voice users.Med Probl Perform Art. 2017; 32: 187-194https://doi.org/10.21091/mppa.2017.4035
- Vocal fold nodules in school age children: attention deficit hyperactivity disorder as a potential risk factor.J Voice. 2015; 29: 287-291https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2014.07.019
- Update on the etiology, diagnosis, and treatment of vocal fold nodules, polyps, and cysts.Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003; 11: 456-461https://doi.org/10.1097/00020840200312000-00009
- Common diagnoses and treatments in professional voice users.Otolaryngol Clin N Am. 2007; 40 (-+): 1025https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otc.2007.05.008
- Comprehensive outcome researches of intralesional steroid injection on benign vocal fold lesions.J Voice. 2015; 29: 578-587https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2014.11.002
- Intensive versus traditional voice therapy for vocal nodules: perceptual, physiological, acoustic and aerodynamic changes.J Voice. 2015; 29: 260.e31-260.e44https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2014.06.005
- Efficacy of the accent method of voice therapy.J Voice. 1991; 5: 316-320https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(05)80062-1
- Assessment of resonant voice therapy in the treatment of vocal fold nodules.J Voice. 2019; 33: 810 e1- e4https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2018.04.012
- Resonance tube phonation in water: high-speed imaging, electroglottographic and oral pressure observations of vocal fold vibrations–a pilot study.Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2015; 40: 113-121https://doi.org/10.3109/14015439.2014.913682
- Microsurgical treatment of benign vocal fold lesions - indications, technique, results.Folia Phoniatrica. 1992; 44: 155-184https://doi.org/10.1159/000266150
- Steroid injection to vocal nodules using fiberoptic laryngeal surgery under topical anesthesia.Eur Arch Oto-Rhino-Laryngol. 2004; 261: 489-492https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-003-0720-x
- Local steroid injection via the cricothyroid membrane in patients with a vocal nodule.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011; 137: 1011-1016https://doi.org/10.1001/archoto.2011.168
- Vocal Fold Injection.Springer nature, Singapore2021
- Efficacy of intralesional steroid injection in small benign vocal fold lesions.J Voice. 2019; 33: 767-772https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2018.04.008
- Comparison of benign lesion regression following vocal fold steroid injection and vocal hygiene education.Laryngoscope. 2014; 124: 510-515https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.24328
- Subjective and objective analyses of voice improvement after phonosurgery in professional voice users.Med Prob Performing Artists. 2016; 31: 18-24https://doi.org/10.21091/mppa.2016.1004
- Quantification of benign lesion regression as a function of 532-nm pulsed potassium titanyl phosphate laser parameter selection.Laryngoscope. 2011; 121: 590-595https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.21354
- Voice disorders: recent diagnostic advances.Egypt J Otolaryngol. 1986; 3: 69-98
- [On the auditory evaluation of voice quality].HNO. 2006; 54: 793-802https://doi.org/10.1007/s00106-005-1310-6
- Item reduction of the voice handicap index based on the original version and on european translations.Folia Phoniatr Logo. 2009; 61: 37-48https://doi.org/10.1159/000200767
- Validation and classification of the 9-item Voice Handicap Index (VHI-9i).J Clin Med. 2021; 10: 3325https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm10153325
- Validation and cultural modification of Arabic voice handicap index.European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology. 2010; 267: 1743-1751https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-010-1296-x
- Praat, a system for doing phonetics by computer.Glot Int. 2001; 5: 341-345
- Operative Techniques in Laryngology.Springer, Berlin2008
- True vocal fold nodules: the role of differential diagnosis.Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009; 17: 449-452https://doi.org/10.1097/MOO.0b013e3283328b6d
- Treatment of vocal nodules: options and outcomes.Am J Speech-Language Pathol. 1999; 8: 209-217https://doi.org/10.1044/1058-0360.0803.209
- Steroid injection for Reinke's edema using fiberoptic laryngeal surgery.Acta Oto-Laryngologica. 2003; 123: 417-420https://doi.org/10.1080/00016480310001321
- Office steroid injections of the larynx.Laryngoscope. 2006; 116: 1735-1739https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mlg.0000231455.19183.8c
- Percutaneous corticosteroid injection for vocal fold polyp.Arch Otolaryngol. 2009; 135: 776-780https://doi.org/10.1001/archoto.2009.86
- Efficacy of percutaneous vocal fold injections for benign laryngeal lesions: prospective multicenter study.Acta Oto-Laryngologica. 2011; 131: 1326-1332https://doi.org/10.3109/00016489.2011.620620
- Transnasal endoscopic steroid injection: a practical and effective alternative treatment for benign vocal fold disorders.Laryngoscope. 2013; 123: 1464-1468https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.23715
- Comparison of therapeutic effects of steroid injection by benign vocal fold lesion type.Acta Oto-Laryngologica. 2021; 141: 1005-1013https://doi.org/10.1080/00016489.2021.1995895
- Cepstral peak prominence values for clinical voice evaluation.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2020; 29: 1596-1607https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_AJSLP-20-00001
- Microdissection or microspot CO2 laser for limited vocal fold benign lesions: a prospective randomized trial.Laryngoscope. 2000; 110 (2 Pt 2 Suppl): 1-17https://doi.org/10.1097/00005537-200002001-00001
- Carbon dioxide laser microsurgery of benign vocal fold lesions: indications, tec.hniques, and results in 251 patients.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1999; 108: 156-164https://doi.org/10.1177/000348949910800210
- Voice outcome following carbon dioxide laser assisted microlaryngeal surgery.Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015; 67: 361-365https://doi.org/10.1007/s12070-015-0853-4
- Pathogenesis of vocal fold nodules: new insights from a modelling approach.Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2009; 61: 171-179https://doi.org/10.1159/000219952
- Vocal fold scarring: current concepts and management.Otolaryngol-Head Neck Surg. 1996; 115: 474-482https://doi.org/10.1016/S0194-5998(96)70087-6
Published online: March 06, 2023
Accepted: February 3, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
No funding was received for conducting this study.
© 2023 The Voice Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.